suzieq08

Default John Moor born 24 Oct 1801 Berwick on Tweed

Hello to all the BG Forum Members

I wonder if you could kindly advise me regarding the above 'John Moor' please, as I am trying to find further information with regards to his illegitimate birth, maternal mother and early life?

I am aware from the Register of Baptisms for the Chapelry of Cornhill-on-Tweed that the entry shows the illegitimate birth of a 'John Moor on the 24 October 1801 to Barbary Moor, native of Reefington in the Parish of Norham and the subsequent Baptism for John Moor on the 7 October 1801.'

I have research information relating to John's marriage to Margaret Prentice on the 13 September 1823, Hutton, Berwickshire, Scotland and subsequent Census information from 1841, 51, 71 up to John's Death on the 01 June 1873, aged 71, Berwick on Tweed.

However, I would be most grateful to the Forum for any advice relating to his mother, Barbary Moor and if I am very lucky perhaps, information pertaining to their earlier life.

Thank you to all for taking the time to read my query.

Best wishes to all.

Suzie (UK)

markmccormack

Suzie,

I apologize for my ignorance, but isn't "Barbary Moor" a descriptor? Kind of like "Lisa Crawford married Swarthy Canuck".

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by suzieq08 View Post
    I am aware from the Register of Baptisms for the Chapelry of Cornhill-on-Tweed that the entry shows the illegitimate birth of a 'John Moor on the 24 October 1801 to Barbary Moor, native of Reefington in the Parish of Norham and the subsequent Baptism for John Moor on the 7 October 1801.'
    Is the source perhaps the images of the Diocese of Durham bishop's transcripts, on Record Search Pilot? The baptism seems to be 7 December (not 7 October).

Using Record Search Pilot's basic search function for a John MOOR born 1801 in Cornhill brings up a transcript of this baptism. The source film number 1068896 indicates that this entry has been transcribed from the parish register. The dates match those given in the BTs, but this entry gives the parents as Thomas FOREMAN and Barbary MOOR.

It seems the parish register differs from the bishop's transcript in this case. Perhaps you need to look at a copy, either on LDS film or from the record office?

Quote Originally Posted by markmccormack View Post
    isn't "Barbary Moor" a descriptor?
    I don't think so, in this case. Barbary is sometimes found as a variant spelling of Barbara.

suzieq08

Hello All

Many, many thanks for firstly taking the time to read my query and also for sharing your thoughts and findings - all very much appreciated.

I am researching 'John Moor et al' on behalf of a friend so, will endeavour to research further re: John Moor's birth and Baptism plus, his parentage.

Again - thank you sincerely to the BG Forum for kindly sharing your time and thoughts with me.

Best wishes always.

Suzie

suzieq08

Dear Kerrywood

Thank you most sincerely for pointing me in the right direction re: John Moor's Baptism taking place on the 07 December 1801 and the fact that this information also confirms that his parents' names are written as: Thomas Foreman and Barbary Moor.

With respect to the fact that a 'father's name' is also included in the Baptism entry would this hold any relevance to the child's birth/heritage, as John C1801 takes his Mother's surname, Moor, and not that of his father, Thomas Foreman? Thank you in advance for your time and help with my query.

Kind regards always.

Suzie

this information also confirms that his parents' names are written as: Thomas Foreman and Barbary Moor.
    You might want to try to get a sight of the original record to see if any further details appear in the register. There might be a marginal note, or some comment by the clergyman which could be of interest.

With respect to the fact that a 'father's name' is also included in the Baptism entry would this hold any relevance to the child's birth/heritage, as John C1801 takes his Mother's surname, Moor, and not that of his father, Thomas Foreman?
    On the face of it, Thomas FOREMAN seems to have acknowledged paternity. Perhaps he was not free to marry?

He might nevertheless have made a contribution to the child's maintenance. Depending on the family's circumstances, you might find something in the parish poor law records, if any survive from this period. Offhand I don't know whether these would be at Berwick-on-Tweed record office or Northumberland Archives. Someone more familiar with this area will surely know.

suzieq08

Hello Kerrywood

Many thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts and advice with me regarding John Moor's parentage/heritage - it really is very much appreciated, as I respect how busy you must be.

Sadly, I am not native to Berwick-on-Tweed or have any access to the Northumberland Archives so, I shall just hope and pray that some kind Member may also read the above and may have the opportunity to help me a little further with my query.

Best wishes and thank you again for taking the time to help me.

Kind regards always.

Suzie

I am not native to Berwick-on-Tweed or have any access to the Northumberland Archives
    Most forum members don't have easy physical access to the areas they need to research. However, most county record offices and archives will do the necessary research for you. If not, they can often recommend someone else who will.

If you seriously want to pursue this, I suggest you Google for their websites, email them, and ask what resources they have that might help you. That sort of general enquiry is usually answered free of charge. Depending on the answer, and what the research costs might be, you could then decide whether to take it any further.

suzieq08

Many thanks Kerrywood

I shall follow up on your kind advice and as a matter of courtesy, will share my future findings (hopefully successfully) with the BG Parish Forum.

Once again your time is very much appreciated.

Best wishes.

Suzie