Pattypickle

Default Hi, I'm researching my Harris family tree

My name is Pat, I live in the Midlands and I am looking for information on my Harris ancestors.
    They lived in Ludgvan in Cornwall in the 1800's. Some of them moved to Wales, then to Durham and others went to America.
    Elderly relatives have hinted that the Harris's had Jewish blood but I have no proof of this.
    My GG grandparents were William Harris and Elizabeth Williams, and my G Grandparents were John Harris and Mary Anne Lewis.
    I have been informed that 'Harris' was a name adopted by Jews in the past?

Procat

Hi Pat and welcome to Brit-Gen.

The Introduce yourself section is just for saying howdy folks (or the equivalent thereof). Have a look around the place then post a query on the relevant section of the forum and hopefully we can get you on your way.

Pattypickle

Default Thank you.

Thanks Doug and Pam for heading me in the right direction.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Patty. I'm part of the Harris family you were researching and found similar info to you on Ancestry and got to the same point as you. One further piece of info I found today though was on the Cornwall ocp (cornwal-ocp-database.org) lsite which has a baptism record for James Harris 1801 and has his parents as James and Martha. Martha is an Aramaic name. From a baptism record 1801. Slightly confusing though that it is Camborne not Ludvgan and also if Jewish would they be on a baptism record. Therefore not sure if it's the same tree. However then looking for parent James, there is a baptism record Apr 22nd 1777 and this is in Ludgvan. May be the same tree. Interested what you may think?