Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    pottoka

Question Jas Gordon Rimmer L'pool '91 went to Canada?

According to family papers, one of the sons of my great-grandfather's brothers emigrated to Vancouver, Canada.

His name was James Gordon Rimmer, and he was born in Liverpool in 1891 to James Rimmer and Marion McLellan. He is on the 1911 England Census with his parents, aged 20, and was then a Clerk - Assistant Cashier.

Ancestry offers me a record which may concern him, but which are not available to me as I only have a U.K. membership. If there is a generous soul out there with access to Canada Ocean Arrivals 1919-1924 for James G. Rimmer, I would love to know if it is him.

Are any other Canadian ressources available to find out more about what happened to him?

parkview

It does look him, as the address he gives for his next of kin (Mrs M Rimmer) is the same as the 1911 census.

He arrived on the Montrose on 10 June 1922. The Ancestry transcript says in Quebec though the departure record on FMP has his intended destination port as Montreal.

He says he is intending to become a farmer and was planning to reside with his cousin Alec/Alan B Sim (someone else may be able to decipher the first name better than I can) a farmer in Chilliwack, BC, Canada.

Hope that helps.

Procat

Hi Pottoka,

Name: Rimmer James G
    Sex: male
    Marital status: Single
    Present occupation: Commercial Representative
    Intended occupation: Farmer
    Birthplace: Liverpool
    Race or people: English
    Citizinship: British
    Religion: Protestant, Church of england
    ? in going to Canada: Taking up farming
    Do you intend to remain permanently in Canada?: Yes
    Have you ever lived in Canada?: No
    Money in possession belonging to passenger: $500
    Can you read?: Yes
    What language?: English
    By whom was your passage paid?: Overseas Settlement Committee
    Destination: Residing in Canada with cousin Alan? B Sim, Farmer, Chillwood? B.C. Canada
    By which Canadian railway are you travelling to destination: CPR
    Nearest relative in country from whcih you came: Mother, Mrs A Rimmer?, 74 Woodville Terrace, Liverpool
    Are you or any of your family mentally disease?: No
    Tubercular?: No
    Physically defective?: No
    Otherwise ? under Canadian Immigration law?: No
    Signature: James Rimmer

Date of Arrival: 10 Jun 1922
    Port of Arrival: Quebec
    Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
    Ship Name: Montrose

Brick wall demolition expert!

Pilot.familysearch.org has his marriage in Vancouver, British Columbia in 1924 to Edith Mary Jew, and his death in North Vancouver in 1982 at the age of 91.

gasser

From British Columbia archives:
    Name:James Gordon Rimmer Place North Vancouver Reg. Number: 1982-09-019466 Copy Available
    Date: 1982 12 4 (Yr/Mo/Day) Age:91 Event: Death Microfilm #:B13625
    Last edited by AdeleE; 26-08-2010 at 10:55 AM. Reason: removed GSU #, which is copyright

pottoka

Thank you, everyone, for your kind contributions.

James' next of kin in 1922 would have been his mother, Marion, as his father died in 1917. Now I am wondering who on earth his cousin is - Alan B Sim - as I haven't got any Sims in my tree at all!

I'm ashamed to say that it didn't cross my mind to look for the outward journey on fmp! However, I have, possibly, redeemed myself by looking for an outward-bound Edith Mary Jew and finding her on the SS Montclare leaving Liverpool on 25th September 1924.

Did Canada have a kind of sorting house like Ellis Island or would it have been (relatively) easy for a British subject to emigrate there with being part of the Empire? Would they have turned back ill people seeing as they asked if there was tuberculosis etc in the family?

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Procat View Post
    Hi Pottoka,

Destination: Residing in Canada with cousin Alan? B Sim, Farmer, Chillwood? B.C. Canada

The town would be Chilliwack, BC...part of the Fraser Valley and a huge farming area. ( especially then)
    If you go to VITAL EVENTS for British Columbia.. you can then find all the information you need to order cerificates for him, which you can do online.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    Did Canada have a kind of sorting house like Ellis Island or would it have been (relatively) easy for a British subject to emigrate there with being part of the Empire?
    Prior to 1947, when the Canadian Citizenship Act came into effect, Canadians were British subjects:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_nationality_law

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    Now I am wondering who on earth his cousin is - Alan B Sim - as I haven't got any Sims in my tree at all!
    I think this is the 1915 Canadian Expeditionary Force attestation paper of his "cousin" Alexander Brown Sim, of Chilliwack:

https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...&id_nbr=229015

pottoka

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    Prior to 1947, when the Canadian Citizenship Act came into effect, Canadians were British subjects:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_nationality_law
    My deepest apologies to all Canadians on the forum.

At school, we only got up to 1911 in history and, in geography, the only thing I remember was learning where all the copper mines were in Australia. Mind you, I think we might have studied Canada in geography as I have had a deep desire to visit British Columbia since I was a teenager and I must have got it from somewhere.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast