Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    My deepest apologies to all Canadians on the forum.
    Well, you certainly don't need to apologize to me. I'm just sharing what I learned when the question came up a while ago on the forum, and then I had to look it up!
    Last edited by AdeleE; 27-08-2010 at 12:00 AM. Reason: added a hug

pottoka

Exclamation Gordon Brown makes a comeback ...

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    I think this is the 1915 Canadian Expeditionary Force attestation paper of his "cousin" Alexander Brown Sim, of Chilliwack:

https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...&id_nbr=229015
    Thank you for that, Adele. It has confirmed - to me - my suspicion that he is part of James' mother's side, due to the 'Brown' in his name. James' middle name also comes from the same source which I told you all about in May here: https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ht=#post400757 (sorry, I don't know how to do a simple 'here' link).

pottoka

Procat - Doug - are you there? please, pretty pretty please!

Could you find me Edith Mary Jew's arrival in Canada like you did James Gordon Rimmer's? She must have arrived at the beginning of October 1924 on the SS Montclare.

I've managed to trace Alexander Brown Sim, mostly thanks to Adele. His mother was the older sister of James Gordon's mother. He was born in Essex but both parents were Scottish, and I can't find the family anywhere in 1911 so presume that they have returned to Scotland. This is also partly because the possible Alex Sims going to Canada leave from Glasgow.

One is a farmer's labourer going to Halifax (but also bound for Boston, USA) on the Ionian, leaving on 27th January 1912; the other is a "chemist?" (sic) going to Montreal on the Hesperian, leaving on 9th May 1913. His father, if that has anything to do with it, was a Road Contractor and Farmer in 1901 and either a Farrier or a Farmer (probably the latter) in 1891.

Do you have the time and inclination to help again? (begging ...)

A fountain of knowledge

Edith Mary Jew b sep qtr 1899 Stourbridge, on www.freebmd.org.uk the only Mary Edith Jew on there....allan

parkview

Here you are:
    SS Montclare
    Date of sailing Sept 26 1924
    Name: Edith Mary Jew
    Sex: female
    Marital status: Single
    Present occupation: nil
    Intended occupation: housewife
    Birthplace: Cradley, B'ham ("Worcs" written first, then crossed out)
    Race or people: English
    Citizinship: British
    Religion: Protestant, Church of England
    Object in going to Canada: Marriage
    Do you intend to remain permanently in Canada?: Yes
    Have you ever lived in Canada?: No
    Money in possession belonging to passenger: £10
    Can you read?: Yes
    What language?: English
    By whom was your passage paid?: Self
    Destination: Fiance Mr James Gordon Rimmer c/o Knowles & Macauley Ltd, 27 Alexander Street, Vancouver, BC

Nearest relative in country from whcih you came: Frank Jew, Father, Witley Hill, Halesowen nr B'ham
    Are you or any of your family mentally disease?: No
    Tubercular?: No
    Physically defective?: No
    Otherwise debarred under Canadian Immigration law?: No
    Signature: E. M Jew

Date of Arrival: October 1924 (no date given)
    Port of Arrival: Quebec
    Port of Departure: Ancestry transcript says "nr B'ham!"
    Ship Name: Montclare

Ancestry also has their marriage as taking place on 9 October 1924 in Vancouver.

pottoka

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by garstonite View Post
    Edith Mary Jew b sep qtr 1899 Stourbridge, on www.freebmd.org.uk the only Mary Edith Jew on there....allan
    Yes, that's the one I found, too. Thank you, Allan. She just scraped on to the 1901 Census, as Edith Jew, but she's on the 1911 as Edith Mary. I put all the necessary references into my tree, but then I got a marriage reference which gave her father's name as Arthur, so I took them all off again as the father is Frank. But there's absolutely no-one else, and what parkview has given me fits exactly, plus Frank as the father, so it confirms that she was the right one after all.

Back to the drawing board to find her again and put the references back!

pottoka

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by parkview View Post
    Here you are:
    Name: Edith Mary Jew
    Intended occupation: housewife
    Object in going to Canada: Marriage
    Destination: Fiance Mr James Gordon Rimmer c/o Knowles & Macauley Ltd, 27 Alexander Street, Vancouver, BC

Date of Arrival: October 1924 (no date given)
    Port of Arrival: Quebec
    Port of Departure: Ancestry transcript says "nr B'ham!" Somewhat typical of the site in question!
    Ship Name: Montclare

Ancestry also has their marriage as taking place on 9 October 1924 in Vancouver.
    Thank you very much, parkview.

In 1922, James' Atlantic crossing took 9 or 10 days, so I suppose that Edith arrived about October 5th. She can't have arrived much later if they got married on October 9th.

I am intrigued by her seeming cross-Atlantic engagement to James. Does anyone know if this happened then: single emigrant men finding wives possibly through newspaper adverts and the couple who then married not actually knowing each other before the future wife got off the ship?

potter

Montreal is a largest city in the province of Quebec. He would have come up the St Lawrence River as this is open to the Atlantic Ocean. Quebec City is also a large city right on this river.

potter

It did happen in the earliest days of Canada. The french sent over young women and then the English. Sometimes they were called the 'King's daughter's'. After WWII, German girls came over to the Northern part of British Columbia where I live. Today it is young women from the far east. They often do this to support their families back home but it isn't usually very easy for them. But too, young men sometimes came out alone to get set up first and then the fiancee came out later.

pottoka

Thumbs up

Thank you, Potter.

I'm sorry, but I seem to have missed your last post on this thread and have only just found it while I was browsing. I wondered about young women going to Canada specifically to marry as there are cases of ex-Iron curtain countries women coming here to marry. There are scams in their countries, of course, where they end up as prostitutes, but there are women who come and marry, for example, small farmers, which allows them to stay on the land.

I was surprised to find the marriage of James Gordon & Edith, as she came from Cradley near Birmingham, and he came from Liverpool. I don't see how they would have got together before he went, but, on the other hand, if he was a commercial traveller, he may have got as far as Birmingham and Amor vincit omnia!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast