Thread: Mary Ann Evans

gbevans

Default Mary Ann Evans

Hi
    I would be so greatful if anyone could help me through this brickwall.
    Mary Ann Evans was my GGrandmother, born in Pembrokeshire about 1853. According to her marriage certificate dated April 1881, her father was a George Evans, Master Mariner. He was born in Milford in 1816 and died whilst on a foreign voyage in 1852. The 1851 census showed him visiting a Thomas and Mary Nash, Bedford St, Liverpool. This census stated he was unmarried. The census of 1841 placed him living with his parents David and Mary Evans at St Dogwells. I have checked with the Pembroke registrar all the Mary Ann(E) Evans births found on Free BMD from 1851 to 1854 without finding her.
    My thanks to anyone who can help with this.
    gbevans

Jeuel

Have you found Mary Ann on censuses prior to her marriage? As she knew George was her father she may have used the surname Evans but because she was illegitimate, have been registered under her mother's surname. What was her age on her marriage cert and what ages does she give in censuses after marriage?

gbevans

Quote Originally Posted by Jeuel View Post
    Have you found Mary Ann on censuses prior to her marriage? As she knew George was her father she may have used the surname Evans but because she was illegitimate, have been registered under her mother's surname. What was her age on her marriage cert and what ages does she give in censuses after marriage?
    I have found several Mary Ann Evans, prior to her marriage but am not sure if she is the same one. Primarily because I do not have an inkling as to the mothers maiden name. On her marriage certificate, under the age column is given, "Of full age". After her marriage I can locate her in Census of 1891 and 2001. These census returns convinced me that she was born in Pembrokeshire and her age on the returns was given as 39, and 48 respectively.

Orielbenfro

Quote Originally Posted by gbevans View Post
    Hi
    I would be so greatful if anyone could help me through this brickwall.
    Mary Ann Evans born in Pembrokeshire about 1853....her father was a George Evans, Master Mariner. He was born in Milford in 1816 ...... his parents David and Mary Evans at St Dogwells.
    Milford was not a parish in 1816 and in fact would not be until the late 19th century. Milford is covered mainly by Llanstadwell at the time of your interest, but residents also used Steyton.
    I recommend you contact Reg Davis at https://www.welshmariners.org.uk/ and see if he has any reference to George on his exstenive database.

I note a George Evans baptized at Steyton in 1816 and also I note a George Evans baptized 01 Oct 1816 at the separate parish of St Dogmaels to David and Mary Evans.

I note a David Evans mrd Elinor Evan at St Dogmaels 30 Mar 1814

I can find no reference to the baptism of a Mary Ann(e) Evan(s) circ 1853 and wonder if she was born elsewhere, but assumed her birth place was Pembrokeshire because her father was born there.

I recommend you view the free wills on the NLoW website at
    https://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/ch...=profeb&lng=en
    select : Evans ~ Mariner ~ St Dogmaels, which may assist your research further.

Rgds
    Orielbenfro
    ORIEL a welsh window on a surname

Orielbenfro

Sorry I should have said ;
    A David Evans mrd Mary Griffith at St Dogmaels 10 August 1816
    Rgds
    Orielbenfro

gbevans

Thank you for the information, where did you find the 1816 baptism record for George, the St Dogmalls one.
    I already have had contact with Dr Davis, and he has helped as much as he is able.

Orielbenfro

Quote Originally Posted by gbevans View Post
    where did you find the 1816 baptism record for George, the St Dogmalls one.
    When i to the record office and searched the parish registers of the parish church of St Dogmaels.
    Rgds
    Orielbenfro

gbevans

Orielbenfro
    I apologise if the question I asked was amusing, however in you earlier contribution you did say, and I quote: "and also I note a George Evans baptized 01 Oct 1816 at the separate parish of St Dogmaels to David and Mary Evans", so I repeat the question, where did you find this information?
    I am not familiar with the cartoon character so it made no sense to me.