Starting to feel at home

Default abbreviations in electoral register

Hi
    I was looking up an electoral register from around 1925 and against the column qualification it had the initials HO/HO. Then on a later electoral register the same person had the qualification initials RW/OW. Would anyone be able to tell me what they meant. Any help with this would be appreciated.
    Janna

Jan1954

The initials denote how the person qualified to register to vote. The ones that I know are as follows:

R: Residence qualification.
    BP: Business premises qualification.
    O: Occupation qualification.
    HO: Qualification through husband's occupation.
    NM: = Naval or Military voter.

No idea about RW/OW, though.

Edit: Just found 'em!

RW: Residence qualification (women).
    OW: Occupation qualification (women).
    Last edited by Jan1954; 18-08-2010 at 8:30 PM. Reason: Found the missing abbreviations

Starting to feel at home

Dear Jan 1954
    Thanks for the reply. I would never have guessed at those meanings, but all becomes clear now.
    Thanks again.
    Janna

prism

Do these mean how a person was qualified the right to vote?

LucyMJG

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    The initials denote how the person qualified to register to vote. The ones that I know are as follows:

R: Residence qualification.
    BP: Business premises qualification.
    O: Occupation qualification.
    HO: Qualification through husband's occupation.
    NM: = Naval or Military voter.

No idea about RW/OW, though.

Edit: Just found 'em!

RW: Residence qualification (women).
    OW: Occupation qualification (women).
    Hi, I know this was a while back, but it was my first decent 'hit' on Google! I have found a record for a Jose Solsona, living in Dean Street Soho, and he and the man above him (and several others on the page) have an L in front of their name. Have you any idea what the L signifies? Many thanks

Reputation beyond repute

There should be a list of abbreviations at the start of the book (or a similar book if Ancestry have once again left a bit out)

Usually L means not entitled to vote at parliamentary elections and LC means not entitled to vote at parliamentary or county council elections.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Janna View Post
    Hi
    I was looking up an electoral register from around 1925 and against the column qualification it had the initials HO/HO. Then on a later electoral register the same person had the qualification initials RW/OW. Would anyone be able to tell me what they meant. Any help with this would be appreciated.
    Janna
    In addition to Jan1954s's excellent answer the first set of letters, double or single, indicates the Parliamentary Qualification and the second set of letters, double or single the Local Government Qualification.
    Examples
    HO/HO = Qualification for both elections through Husband's Occupation
    R/O = Qualification for Parliamentary Elections through Residence Qualification & Qualification for Local Government Elections through Occupational Qualification
    NM/O = Qualification for Parliamentary Elections through being a Naval or Military voter & Qualification for Local Government Elections through Occupational Qualification

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.