markmorgan

Question Will missing from National Probate Calendar

I searched for the will of Alexander Henley Attwater, who died in Devon 17 Feb 1906, in the newly released National Probate Calendar but couldn't find it.

1906 isn't one of the dates listed as currently missing so what does that mean? Is there a will somewhere and probate wasn't granted for some reason? Is it still worth applying to the HMCourts to see if they can find it? Or are they just looking at the same index?

PS. the one in 1936 is for his cousin.

Thanks,
    Mark.

Reputation beyond repute

Have you tried searching 1906-1907-1908 manually without using the name index? How sure are you that there was a will or admon?

nataliew

yes i'd like to be clearer on how many people would've died without appearing on the probate calendar. Have only found one out of my 6 potential males...

v.wells

I haven't found any either. I assume that they didn't have money or goods so there was no Will or probate.

markmorgan

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Have you tried searching 1906-1907-1908 manually without using the name index?
    Peter, I didn't know you could page through the records! I will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    How sure are you that there was a will or admon?
    I'm assuming there was a will as he was a Surgeon MRCS and FRCS (and not an Ag Lab - I've got lots of those too :-)) and there was an admon probate entry for his wife Elizabeth Lukey Attwater in 1893 (possibly her personal wealth from her father's estate, Robert Huxtable 1874).

I've also got one missing for Charles Henry Keeping d.1926 who was a photographer and ran a photography business.

So, if I cannot find one in the list does that just mean there was no probate? And what does that signify? Is there still a will on file?

Thanks,
    Mark.