Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Licensed Victualler 1880s

Hi can anyone help me find the name of the public house at 58 Arley St Liverpool in 1881? I know its last name (recent times) was Non Pariel, think it is closed up now. Also is there a register of licensed Victuallers for that period.
    Thanks Tracey

exiled brummie

Hi Tracey

According to address searches the inn's name in 1881 census was Nonpariel Vaults, and the couple who lived there were Robert & Jane Jones. No name is given in 1891 or 1911, while in 1901 the address is simply referred to as a tavern.

Hope this helps. David

Reputation beyond repute

Also is there a register of licensed Victuallers for that period?
    There should be (from 1872) but what may have survived is another matter. You'll have to ask the record office.

daggers

In the offical City of Liverpool Licensing Report Book for 1909, of which I have a copy, there was no name given for the licensed premises at 58 Arley Street. The owners were Bents Brewery, taken over by Bass Charrington in the 1960s, and the licensee was a manager, not a tenant, in 1909. There has been much regeneration in the Vauxhall area.
    There should be details in the Liverpool Record Office but it has closed for a major refit, with temporary arrangements being made for some of its services off-site, but not yet!
    Frustrating for many...
    D

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for all your help, the Jones are gg parents of mine

Tracey

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for your info, yes I tried the Liverpool Record Office & found their site vague on when you would be able to get any information. Frustrating yes !

Tracey

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by NZTracey
    Also is there a register of licensed Victuallers for that period.
    By no means complete - but - one of the ways you might check this sort of thing from your location is by using the large number of directories sold via The Parish Chest. Some directories are available online via the historical directories web-site and on some pay-per-view web-sites.

daggers

This thread should lead you the Liverpool & SW Lancs Genealogical website where the latest info on the Liverpool RO status is given:
    https://liverpool-genealogy.org.uk/ph...pic.php?t=9679

The LRO's leaflet on courts and licensing states that registers of various licensed premises are held under ref: 347 JUS.

D

Default Nonpareil

Pigot's Directory 1828-29 Pt 1
    Non Pareil, JNO Robinson, 30 Harley St

Kelly's Directory 1894 Pt2
    Nonpareil, Mrs Mary Ellen Bottomley, 58 Arley St

Gore's Directory 1900
    Nonpareil, Mary E Delaney, 1 Marshal Pl & 58 Arley St

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Licensed Victualers between 1908 and 1913

Quote Originally Posted by daggers View Post
    In the offical City of Liverpool Licensing Report Book for 1909, of which I have a copy, there was no name given for the licensed premises at 58 Arley Street. The owners were Bents Brewery, taken over by Bass Charrington in the 1960s, and the licensee was a manager, not a tenant, in 1909. There has been much regeneration in the Vauxhall area.
    There should be details in the Liverpool Record Office but it has closed for a major refit, with temporary arrangements being made for some of its services off-site, but not yet!
    Frustrating for many...
    D
    Hello My name is Danny Mathews. I have an inquiry in regards to Pubs, or Beer Houses and Licensed Victualers in Liverpool. The address was 350 & 352 Scotland Road. Between 1908 and 1913. I'm hoping it it under James Mathews. And also curious to if there was a name for the establishment. Thanks Danny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast