Ed Bradford

Question Great Dunmow Parish Registers

I'm trying to locate baptisms and a marriage that occurred in the Saint Mary the Virgin Church, Great Dumow, Essex. I need to confirm them and possibly get parent's names.

The two baptisms/births I need are:
    John Stokes born/baptized during 1736
    Prudence Bull born/baptized on 30 June 1745
    The SEAX site indicates that the listings should be in the birth, marriage and burial register dated 1705-1754, the Essex Record Office reference number D/P 11/1/3

The marriage is of John Stokes and Prudence Bull and was suppose to have occurred on 9 April 1765
    The SEAX site indicates that the listing should be in marriage register dated 1754-1784, the Essex Record Office reference number D/P 11/1/5.
    Can anyone help me with this? If someone is going to the Essex Record Office and could look them up for me that would be a great help. Or, if someone could PM me and point out where I might obtain a copy of the registers, that too would be a great help. The data from these will probably lead to other lookups.

Thanks. ...............Ed

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bradford View Post
    If someone is going to the Essex Record Office and could look them up for me that would be a great help. Or, if someone could PM me and point out where I might obtain a copy of the registers, that too would be a great help.
    Presumably your data derives from patron submissions to the IGI?

While the "birth" of Robert STOKES "Of Great Dunmow" is suspect, the other two records look feasible enough, as they have exact dates. If these are correct, you should be able to use the ERO's reprographics service to get copies of the register entries at basic cost, without incurring research charges. Details of the service will be on the ERO website.

Ed Bradford

Thanks Kerrywood. You are correct in that they are patron submissions to the IGI which I'd like to confirm. I've emailed ERO repographics. Something that I had not seen before is the statement on their web site concerning some parish records being available on fiche. I've inquired about the Great Dunmow registers. I'm now waiting for a response. I'll let you know how I make out.
    ..............Ed

Ed Bradford

ERO Repographics has replied. They state that most parish registers are available on fiche for 2.20 pounds sterling for each fiche plus S&H. It appears that a parish register is contained on 2 or 3 fiche so that would be 4.40 or 6.60 per register. That is much cheaper than their lookup service or to pay the cost to fly over to England and do it personally. Although, a good "plate" (now that serving on newspaper is outlawed) of fish and chips and a pint of bitters sounds mighty good, I'll have to stay put for now and just order the fiche.

..............Ed

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bradford View Post
    It appears that a parish register is contained on 2 or 3 fiche
    One really can't generalise. Some of the more populous Essex parishes, such as those in Colchester, are huge and fill far more fiches than that.

But I'm glad to hear you can access what you need anyway.

RAY W

Hi my name is Raymond Wheeler I am the son of Doris Wheeler whose father was John William Henry Bradford killed in WW1 on 4th April 1918. I have only found this out through your diligent work. My mother was born 9 months after my grandfather went war and never came home.
    My grandmother remarried and little information was passed on to my mother about here real father. Her elder brother Arthur had all the information and medals. except the victory medal that we have , everthing else seems to have disappeared. With the help of my wifes family and yourself we have now found his grave and are taking my mother who is 96 years old to visit the grave on Amistice Sunday 11th November. thank you very much

Ray Wheeler

I am sure that you know you can sign up to SEAX for one day for £5. If you are only looking for a few parish records, this may be the quickest and cheapest way for you to get them. Their site is: https://
    seax.essexcc.gov.uk/EssexAncestors.aspx. I used it and found many ancestors back to the 1600's.

Glyn

Ed Bradford

Ray, your grandfather and my grandfather are brothers. I believe that makes us 2nd cousins. I've sent a private message by way of this forum and an email trying to establish contact with you. I have a lot of Bradford information to share and look forward to hearing from you.

Glyn, thanks for the info. You may be right about the less expensive way to go. Especially if what I'm looking for spans more than one parish register.

......................Ed Bradford

suffolk sue

The Stokes/Bull marriage is as you say. They were both single and of the parish of Gt. Dunmow. One of the witnesses was a Jeremiah Bull, the other the parish clerk.

Ed Bradford

Thanks Suffolk Sue. Your info is a big help.

.................Ed