Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Many thanks for the prompt response, the pm has gone to Diamond.
    I will take your reel order suggestion through a local group and see where that goes.
    Will also pm olliecat as he found the Thomas ref.
    Cheers all

Starting to feel at home

Still around looking into my family tree, but I have been concentrating on other branches. I have added to my online family tree a few more certificates.

Starting to feel at home

Hello,

I have been to The Keep today for The East Sussex Record Office. I have an entry for baptisim at St Nicholas Church, Brighton on 2nd October 1811, son of Edward Hichings and Mary Hichings, Edwards occupation was 10th lt dragoons.

10th (Prince of Wales' own) Regiment of (light) Dragoons (Hussars)

Still did not find a baptisim for Mary, but I think this is her brother.

The London Gazette
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/21976/page/977

Column 2 - final entry
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Default Thank you for the Keep feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Hello,

I have been to The Keep today for The East Sussex Record Office. I have an entry for baptisim at St Nicholas Church, Brighton on 2nd October 1811, son of Edward Hichings and Mary Hichings, Edwards occupation was 10th lt dragoons.

10th (Prince of Wales' own) Regiment of (light) Dragoons (Hussars)

Still did not find a baptisim for Mary, but I think this is her brother.
    Sorry you did not find Mary.
    Just wondering if the record/details have been digitised by anyone as I would love to see it. Did you take a note of what other information may have been provided such as siblings or parents ages, address?

Knowledgeable and helpful

In an early entry, the poster said "he was a pensioner". If Edward was the pensioner meant, given that he was in the 10th Dragoons, it is likely that he was a Chelsea pensioner, and checking their records might provide useful information. I'm not up on how to do this but I'm sure someone will tell us. pwholt

Proof that Thomas and Mary are siblings? Not yet but the first story below may increase our confidence level?
    geneius revealed that record of Mary living with Johana LEGGATT
    Well Thomas Hitchins (ignore the spelling for now as its taken me ages to find him under every conceivable variation of Hitchings you could imagine!) was a tad naughty at 15 and according several articles including the Sussex Advertizer 3 Sep 1827 he broke into and stole goods from his uncle Richard Leggatt and found guilty etc. (other sources Western Times Devon sat 22 dec 1827; sussex advertiser 24 dec 1827
    This story strongly suggests that Mary's mother was a Leggatt does it not????
    P.S. I have not read the court transcripts or any petitions etc as I do not know how to get them from the internet? One would hope the family or at least parents my have petitioned on his behalf as he receive 6 months in irons as I recall from the newspaper reports

On a sad note to add to the Edward and Mary story, in the Monday 17 January 1825, Sussex Advertiser, there is a report of an Edward Hitchings assaulting Mary Hitchings, so assuming there were no other couples with the same names at that time, it also sounds like the parents to me so I put it out there for your consideration. Or it could be his daughter Mary????? I must download the article from britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk and get all the story right but the above is pretty close.

Cheers all
    Hope these two seemingly unconnected stories help uncover a bit more for us all

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12