Chelle1661

Question Harris Family - Coastguards from Cork Ireland

I hope someone can help point me in the right direction. I have been trying to find records of my GGGG Grandfather Thomas Harris who was a coastguard in Cork in the 1800's. I have not been able to find reference to him on most of the coastguard websites, however have found reference to another Thomas probably a son or grandson who was based at Queenstown. His daughter was Alice Louisa Harris.

busyglen

I doubt if you would find a birth for Thomas Harris in Ireland, as mostly, Coastguards were sent to other locations, away from their place of birth. This was to try and avoid collusion between the smugglers and the Coastguards. Have you tried the National Archives to see if you can find his naval records, as these would give his place of birth.

Glenys

Loves to help with queries

I found the coastguards of yesteryear website a great help when researchers men who served in Ireland.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi

I have found a Thomas Harris who was serving in Ireland, however, he never had a posting to the Cork area and was Discharged Dead in 1836. If you can provide a little more information as to where and when you think he was serving I will have another look - or perhaps I will see you at the above site!

Martin
    Coastguards of Yesteryear

Bertie

I agree - if you can give ideas of dates that would help, e.g. with Nat. Archives. Also if you know if stayed in Ireland or had children there there are some sites I can suggest. Otherwise, if he was an officer you could find him in The Navy List.

BTW, Martin - coincidentally, I went on to your site for the first time yesterday and it helped me trmendously!!! Brief story - I had (part of) the service record of the brother of a direct rellie, in fact I'd had it for over a year, and coluld not find him or his wife in the census. Anyway, I cam back to it yesterday and looked at it - the word coastguard was there - not really spotted it before - so I googled it, got your site and he was there, in Ireland! Just one extract from The Navy List, but that was enough for me to track his death / wife's death, children's BMDs and census information (for those living 1901 / 1911). Marvellous! Just goes to show, every single word on a document can count!