Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey
    I believe it was perfectly in order to mention the 1911 census.
    Perfectly correct

Thomasin

Quote Originally Posted by Jellylegs View Post
    on FMP they are enumerated as GROSSE.
    Didn't have my 'variants' turned on - thanks!

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Going back to the original post, I think this is the marriage of Herman and Frances that is referred to.

From the London England Marriages and Banns 1754 to 1921 on Ancestry:
    Herman GROSS, 29 year old batchelor, a Baker (father Frederick Herman GROSS, a barber) married Frances Anny SLOWGROVE, 27 year old spinster (father Francis SLOWGROVE, a butler) on 18.06.1882

Jellylegs

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

I thouhgt I had found Winifred as Winnie GROSCH in Orphans Houses in Bristol in 1911. However, just looked again and there is also an Elsie GROSCH there - both born Middlesex, London - so not so sure now.

Jellylegs

ejgray52

First of all, many, many thanks to all who have replied. Do not worry about 1900 onwards, that is covered by my own research. My main enquiry is where Henry came from... The family tell of all the paperwork being destroyed when things were found out about his adoption. The story also concerns him overhearing his adoptive mother telling a 'strange man' about it, when he arrived home one day... I imagine the birth mother of Henry was known to the Gross family - but who was she? Probably going to remain a mystery after all these years...

Reputation beyond repute

Presumably Henry married. What does the marriage certificate show for his father's details?
    I'm repeating the above question.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by ejgray52 View Post
    First of all, many, many thanks to all who have replied. Do not worry about 1900 onwards, that is covered by my own research.
    Ah! but we need to do it also, we cannot help you unless we work back in the same way as you have. You have to accept that an answer cannot be pulled from a hat and we must follow the natural progression backwards in order to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by ejgray52 View Post
    My main enquiry is where Henry came from... Probably going to remain a mystery after all these years...
    An answer to Peter's question would be helpful.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I agree. Every little detail can be so important. Sometimes we need to work forward, to put everything we can find into the hopper & see if/how the various pieces of a person's life can be reconstructed.
    I think that I have found Henry Gross' Royal Navy record on the National Archives website, with a birthdate of 21 Jan 1888 in Marylebone. This is another little detail that could produce a match to a birth.

ejgray52

First of all apologies for not answering questions etc...
    Here goes: Henry married my grandmother in the first quarter of 1916 in Alverstoke (Gosport)[Hampshire 2b page1147]. On my occasional visits I have been going through microfiche of the parish records, but as yet no luck. I have the original navy records - they had been kept in the family and passed on to me. The family story for Henry tells of him being delivered in the back of a 'big black car by the maid of the house, wrapped in an expensive shawl' is interesting - though I think a carriage is more likely as it was 1888! Another family member is also looking into the family history and has suggested that there may be a connection between Herman's father-in-law being a butler and the arrival of Henry... We will try for the wedding cert and see what it says. Once again thanks.

ejgray52

Looking at Henry's records, he was stationed at HMS Vernon, a shore base in Portsmouth from 18/1/16 to 8/7/16 and before that at Victory I (Navy barracks, also Portsmouth), which ties in with the wedding.
    For those unfamiliar with the area, Gosport is the other side of the harbour from Portsmouth and about a 5 minute ferry ride away. His wife's family were there.
    I remember HMS Vernon well; its gone now - replaced by a large shopping complex; Henry's first marital home in Gosport was replaced in the 70's by local authority housing and I am also tracking down any photos of the area when I visit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast