Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Pat S

Quote Originally Posted by birdlip View Post
    Never mind, its still N Ireland anyway!

If he was 37 in 1907, he would've been 44 or 45 when the war broke out. Not impossible that he joined up, but less likely, and no trace of him in military records anyway? Presumably if he was some sort of aeronautical engineer though, he would have been in a reserved occupation, possibly involved in war work somewhere? Offshore? Europe? Just free ranging here...
    Thanks Birdlip - I keep coming to the idea that his aeroplane may have been destroyed in an accident. If he went down with it over the sea, his death may not be recorded, but it would seem that his wife would have to have waited at least 7 years before having him declared dead. So the time frame seems too short. It has occurred to me that he may have gone overseas, but I have noidea as to where to look. France, Germany and USA would seem to be the obvious. Haven't found anything in USA - drew a blank on the Ellis Island website. Seems neverending, doesn't it.

Pat

Pat S

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    www.proni.gov.uk/index.htm and www.census.nationalarchives.ie may be helpful. There is also the National Library of Ireland.
    Thanks - have tried these with no luck.

birdlip

Quote Originally Posted by Pat S View Post
    Thanks Birdlip - I keep coming to the idea that his aeroplane may have been destroyed in an accident. If he went down with it over the sea, his death may not be recorded, but it would seem that his wife would have to have waited at least 7 years before having him declared dead. So the time frame seems too short. It has occurred to me that he may have gone overseas, but I have noidea as to where to look. France, Germany and USA would seem to be the obvious. Haven't found anything in USA - drew a blank on the Ellis Island website. Seems neverending, doesn't it.

Pat
    Perhaps you could ask a specific question on aircraft manufacture on the WW1 board? There maybe an expert there who can suggest locations to look? Good luck!

Reputation beyond repute

This is a pretty basic point but I don't think you've confirmed that you have actually searched probate records. Have you?

If not, it is definitely something to be done.

Pat S

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    This is a pretty basic point but I don't think you've confirmed that you have actually searched probate records. Have you?
    No, Peter, I haven't searched probate records -I thought I would need date and place of death before I could do that. Also, a quick look on the web seems to indicate that probate records after about 1898 aren't available. Am I wrong there? Thanks.

Reputation beyond repute

No, Peter, I haven't searched probate records -I thought I would need date and place of death before I could do that. Also, a quick look on the web seems to indicate that probate records after about 1898 aren't available. Am I wrong there? Thanks
    I thought you knew roughly when it should have been. You can order the probate calendars on film through the Mormons to do it yourself or you can order a search at a price from the Probate Service.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Pat. I'm curious whether you eventually made any progress in your quest to find out about Arthur Cunliffe Wyndham-Elliot. I am interested in finding out what happened to his wife, Florence. You said right at the beginning of this thread that she married an Australian man before 1917. Do you have any idea what his name was, or the name she married under, please?
    Thank you in advance for any help you can be. Paul Howes. howesfamilies.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12