Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    obdavies

Thanks for making it clearer Peter. So, is he wearing a 1941 Royal Navy uniform (and can anyone with better eyesight make out the name of the ship on his hat)?

Owen

obdavies

I've just noticed, he seems to have the initials RNP on his right sleeve, what does that signify?

Owen

obdavies

Thanks 'notanotherminer', but do I assume that he was in the Royal Navy from the RNR or RNT (whatever they might mean) and that the 'Royal Navy Disposal Cell, Whale Island, Portsmouth' will be able to identify his war record from just his DoB and place of birth?

They appear to be asking for his 'Official service Number' and 'NI number' (neither of which I have, he died in 1984) and they want me to pay £10 for a death certificate to be sent to them before I can have the privilige of giving them £30 to look him up, and I'm still not sure he's Royal Navy in the first place.

Owen

obdavies

Thanks, that's useful information 'notanotherminer'. I never heard of any association he was in (except something I recall as Vincent de Paul, a religious organisation), I don't have his marriage certificate (though I have his father's and grandfather's) so I'll obtain that. His occupation on leaving was a 'Blaster' (explosives) down what I recall were Anhydrite mines at ICI Billingham (it made him deaf). Eventually he managed a nursing home for Redcar Council at Normanby. I'll try both Recdcar Council and ICI (though the mines closed down years ago and I don't think there's any ICI presence at Billingham now) to see if they have his NI number.

And yes, it's another miner (admittedly Anhydrite not coal) bt your input has been very useful and given me leads I wouldn't have had otherwise. However, I'm still concerned to identify the uniform, any old WW2 seamen out there who could help identify it?

Thanks

Owen

v.wells

Owen, I agree with notanothermine about getting his marriage certificate. It might well have his military status listed under occupation.

Also, the National Health Service should be able to provide his NI number from his pension records. I was given one a couple of years ago (I never knew what it was) and I was only in the UK for a few years which didn't qualify me for a UK pension. When they sent me the pension application, that is when I discovered what it was - it is like our Social Insurance Number here in Canada.

Did he ever have a passport that would perhaps give more information for you?

obdavies

Thanks 'notanotherminer', let's hope your father's experience will help identify the uniform. I'll hold off sending to the Royal Navy for the record until I gather the NI number, etc., that they require, so I'll be delayed anyway.

Thanks again

Owen

Hollytree

Except that the ship was laid down in 1943 I would suggest that the name is 'GRAVELINES' I have the two volume book of Admiralty Ships Badges - Original Patterns and Gravelines's badge is described as 'Blue, within a wreath of laurel gold a plate theron a saltire couped raguly red debruised by a lion statant guardant the tail extended gold.' ( A roaring lion with a deep red cross behind it - the Naval Crown above with blue and gold laurel wreath surrounging it) It's motto is 'Zeal rests not'

This might be useless information, but made me dig these books from the depths of my book case

Anne

Geoffers

My ageing eyes and the resolution of the photo make it difficult to pick out the letters - Could the letters on the sleeve be RNP? and could your chap have served in the RN Patrol Service?

obdavies

I'm visiting Teesside Archive tomorrow, so let's hope I can find a few files to help sort this out. Thanks for the suggestions, but the truth is I don't know if he was in the RN Patrol Service. I seem to recall he spoke of being in Italian ports and on Russian convoys so they're hardly 'coastal waters', but we'll see. I'll certainly undate this topic when I get a definitive answer.

Owen

bibliojunkie

Coastal waters were not necessarily those around the UK. My father was in the RNVR and served in RN Coastal Forces on minesweepers, MTB’s and ML’s during the war. Most of his service was spent in the Far East particularly Burma.

Did you have any success at the Archives?

Ali

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast