Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Geoff1959

Default William SERLE, Cordwainer

Hello,
    I am looking for information on a William SERLE, unfortunately I dont have very much to go on.
    He had a son Alfred SERLE born c 1818 in Kinsand, Devon who married Eliza Paine daughter of John Paine (a Smith) in 1841 in Plymouth. The marriage certificate lists William's occupation as Cordwainer.
    My family have a strong association with Devonport and I wondered how leatherwork would be related to ship building/repair or could the association be simply the supply of shoes to the navy?
    Would be most interested if anybody has any info on William.

Kind regards,

Name well known on Brit-Gen

IGI have Alfred Serle b. 1814 Baptised 1825 6th June Morrice St. Wesleyan. Devonport batch no.C063601 Mother MAry.
    Repeated in Pilot Search b.5 Dec. 1815 batch no. C06360-1 A marriage for William (one of 3) is to Mary Sulley, 1 MArch 1814. St, Thomas the Apostle, Exeter Devon.M01491-3

Another on IGI to Mary Sulby, 22 Mar. 1814 Crediton Devon. M050741. Also on Pilot search.

Apart from boots for sailors didn't they have quite a bit of leather clothing also?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Reputation beyond repute

Shoemaking hadn't developed into a factory industry in those days. If wanted to buy a pair of shoes, it was made locally

The 1881 census is easy to search on occupation alone and you can see for yourself how many cordwainers/shoemakers there were in even modest sized towns.

I don't think you can assume any naval connection. Trade directories may provide some information about your man. I imagine the record office has a good collection.

Nicolina

the IGI has Alfred SERLE born 5th December 1815, christened 6th June 1825 at Morrice St Wesleyan, Devonport, parents William & Mary. Also christened the same day was a daughter Lavinia, who was born 29th September 1824

Name well known on Brit-Gen

A William Searle 52 a MARINER b.Berry Pomeroy Devon, his Wife Mary 58, b.Totnes & dtr Mary Ann b.Totnes are at Lower St. St.Savours Clifton Dartmouth.. 1851
    Class: HO107; Piece: 1873; Folio: 444; Page: 29; (Crown copywrite held at TNA)
    A few other too hard to pick the right one, if he was still living.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Geoff1959

UPDATE ON William SERLE Bootmaker

Still researching this but with help from Lizzy Cook @ devonport on line believe this lead may " have some legs".

Alfred SERLE married Eliza PAINE (I have marriage cert to confirm this) Alfred's father is shown as William SERLE cordwainer.
    There is an 1805 marriage in East Stonehouse between a William SERLE and a Mary (Possibly Whitaker).
    A probate record for 1862 has a William Serle bootmaker (died 8/8/1862 Devonport) with a son William also a Bootmaker.
    The 1861 census shows William (jnr) 50 [Bootmaker] married to Lavinia 48 but with William (snr) 75 [Retired Shoemaker] living with them. The Address is shown as 8 Bakers Place. Is it likely that this would have been his shop? the census lists several families at this address. A million to one shot but does anybody have a photo of his shop? Also any more info on William SERLE / Mary WHITAkER?? much appreciated.