Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dizzy600

Default Where are the 95th Foot in 1881

Hi,
    Can anyone find the 95th Foot Regiment on the night of the 1881 census please? I believe they were stationed in England until the end of 1881 when they went to Gibraltar.

Many Thanks
    Karen

Dizzy600

Hi,
    I am looking for James Maycock born 1837 in Buxton, Derbyshire according to the 1871 census where he is stationed with the 95th in Alverstoke, Hampshire. His daughter Clara Ellen born 1868 Mhow, India is also listed on that census with the Regiment - her father is listed as a 'widower'. I can't find either of them on the 1881 and just wondered if it were possible to find the 95th on census night and see if he is still with the Regiment.
    Regards
    Karen

Dizzy600

They didn't join the 'Sherwood's' until June 1881 so after census night.

Thanks for your help.
    Karen

Dizzy600

Yes that's her - thank you for all your help.
    Will probably have to go to TNA to see if I can find is army reords. Was hoping he would turn up on the Chelsea Pensioners records but no luck there either! Just wants to remain elusive....
    Karen

SueNSW

They are an elusive lot Karen - I searched the London Gazette for officers names to try to find them that way - but no joy at all - everything points to them being the Uk - but ............

If you could get hold or the Army List for the relevant period it should give a location for them - and hopefully give you all officers names to maybe have a try again to find them

Good Luck
    Sue

Dizzy600

Thank you. I think I might ring the museum and see if they know where they were posted on census night.

Dizzy600

Thanks Graham for all your help.

Regards karen

Brick wall demolition expert!

The 1881 enumeration for the 95th Regiment stationed at Aldershot Hampshire starts on this census page: RG11; Piece: 784; Folio: 49; Page: 1

SueNSW

Wow - are you going to let us in to the secret of how you found them Adele????????

I discovered John North Crealock was their Lt Col - but Ancestry have him mis transcribed with an option I didn't think of - so can only presume FMP have too as I double checked there

Cheers
    Sue

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hi Sue,
    On the "old" 1881 Census search page on Ancestry, there is a large box on the right side of the page called "Browse This Collection", with drop-down choices.

So I chose Hampshire > Aldershot > and there it was, an enumeration district titled > "District 95th Regiment Aldershot Camp".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast