lynnelay

Unhappy John Mitchell inquest 1921 Liverpool

I have the death certificate for my uncle, John Verdun Mitchell, who died 8 December 1921 . There was an inquest 10 December 1921 as he was knocked down by a car. I think this might have been unusual in 1921 as there must have been few cars, especially in Gascoyne Street. I have tried Googling it to no avail but I'm sure some one out there will be able to help me get details of the inquest/ death (At Northern Hospital).
    Thanks in anticipation
    Lynne

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello

Try this link, a leaflet published to expliamn about Coroners duties and where the archives are for Liverpool:

liverpool.gov.uk/Images/tcm21-82111.pdf

maps.google.co.uk for Gascoyne Street is at L3 6BS, you may get a street scene view, alternatively there maybe archive photos of the appearance of the street in 1921.

Good Luck

geneius

Reputation beyond repute

If you're tempted by Inquest Registers, they're rarely worth bothering about if you already have the death certificate. The local press is likely to be more productive.

lynnelay

Thank you to all 3 of you. Could Peter /or any one else tell me how to see if there was a local press write up? I do not live in Liverpool
    Thanks
    Lynne

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The one that springs to mind Liverpool The Daily Post ( just google) it covers merseyside, part of cheshire and N Wales.......
    Give them a call they are v helpful......I know cos I wanted a particular article 2 weeks ago and they e mailed it to me......

lynnelay

I got the researcher at Liverpool library to look in the papers and he found the article. It was so sad. I also found that he was buried with his father at Anfield cemetery. The researcher at the library was very good if anyone needs help.