spison

Default Where is this place in Denmark?

Hi all, I have tried to understand the names transcribed by an Australian on an application for Naturalization by a Dane. I get something like:

Asseas, Island of Frien(z)e, Denmark

And I must have it wrong because I can't locate it on Google or Google earth. It's probably obvious - but not to me.

Could anyone who has a better idea than me please go to the Digital Image on the link provided and have a go? The place is scored out on p.1 but is rewritten on p.6. I also can't read the date of birth on p.6 (twenty - seventh, fourth, sixth, or ninth?)

https://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Item...asp?M=0&B=7030

Many thanks (and if I've put it in the wrong forum please move it.)

Jane

Nicolina

I was able to see the image but trying to find which Danish island it was is likely to be difficult. There are 443 islands in Denmark of which 76 are occupied. Thinking of possibles and pronunciation, could it be Århus?

spison

Thanks Graham,

Not too confident about the above so I'll work on it but in the meantime if anyone thinks they could help, this search will get only one result.
    Search as a guest with 'Charles Hansen' and '1906'. Click on the one result and go to the digital copy.

https://www.naa.gov.au/collection/rec...rch/index.aspx

Thanks Nicolina,
    I've no idea. It very well could be if this is pronounced something like is written. Is this the place or the island?The application wasn't completed by the man himself so what he said (with what remained of an accent after 52 years) was then interpreted by someone else who probably only wrote English.
    Jane
    Last edited by spison; 13-06-2010 at 11:19 PM. Reason: responded to Nicolina

Nicolina

I tried to think how to explain how it is pronounced but it's not easy, something like Aah who zzz.
    It's like a problem we had with my husband. English is Michael's third language and he was being questioned by a Doctor, from the Indian sub-continent, whose English left a lot to be desired. It was like something out of an old-fashioned farce. Googness knows what that Doctor wrote.

spison

Thanks Nicolina,
    I've tried what you said and if I heard that said I probably would have written something similar to what is there ... so you may be correct. Added to this complication is the fact that I'm not sure of the handwriting!

Thanks Graham,
    I haven't visited google yet but I think this is what is written as both places seem to match.

Thankyou both
    Jane
    Last edited by spison; 13-06-2010 at 11:47 PM. Reason: responded to Graham

spison

OMG!
    In 1990 my mother-in-law (Charles Hansen was her great-grandfather) died of a lung ailment that was inoperable and probably inherited. Her son - my brother-in-law - appears to have the same condition. I needed to listen better to what killed her but there is an inherited condition common to those from Funen affecting -among other things - the lungs outlined in the links posted above called: hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia (also known as "Osler's disease," "Osler-Weber-Rendu disease", and "Osler-Weber-Rendu syndrome"). It is probably totally unconnected and totally coincidental but definitely needing to be mentioned to the family.

Jane

British Viking

For any Danish genealogy questions in English your best bet is to go to DIS-Danmark.dk (put www in front). They're extemely helpful and knowledgeable as it's run by (English speaking) Danes themselves. It's free but you do need to register in order to post any queries.

spison

Many thanks for that link British Viking.
    I've bookmarked it. I admit I find the thought of researching anything apart from Oz or the UK pretty daunting. (This same woman also has German ancestry and they also arrived into Tasmania in the 1850s!) There's a part that says follow up on Charles (and Christian - the German) and a part that says 'you haven't found the arrival into Australia and/or origin of all of the in-laws yet'. Do that first!
    Jane