Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    This thread (and others) relates.
    More 'proof' [if it was needed], of my incompetence!!!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Not at all incompetent! This thread is specific to his occupation. The other thread is more general.

While it's best if all the information on one person is kept together in the same thread, we know it doesn't always work that way.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    While not the ideal answer, it's good to have this confirmed so that you can now move on.
    Yes, I've now received confirmation that he was not a policeman

My other threads on him may yield results more favourable!!!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this enquiry

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Almost 18 months on this chap, his wife and daughters are still presenting more questions than I can resolve.

The 1841 census - taken 6 June 1841 - has the family living on John Street, St. Mary, Whitechapel. Here follows the details of his death from the death certificate:
    Date of death - 3 July 1842 - a Sunday
    Place of death - 4 John Street
    Age at death - 48 years
    Occupation - Police Officer
    Cause of Death - Consumption
    Informant - J. Shaw of 24 Gloucester Pl. Stepney, In Attendance.
    When Registered - 11 July 1842.

He was buried 10 July 1842 - 1 day before his death was registered. Was it mormal or common practice to register the death after burial?

I found a J. Shaw in the 1841 census at 24 Gloucester Pl. Stepney. His occupation was an Undertaker. Under what circumstances would an Undertaker be the Informant? Where was Mary - his wife and widow?

Just asking - so help me understand the circumstances above

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Just bumping this - does anyone have ideas, thoughts etc.?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Could it be that the 9th July 1842 was a Saturday / 10th a sunday and I think you may find that the death certificate needs to be registered within 5 days of the event hence the reason for the undertaker doing it a responsible person!

The 5 day rule is only overridden if there is an inquest.....and there is no mewntion on the death cert of this

There is an entry in the newspaper of Thomas FANNING giving information at an inquest London Standard 29/06/1839

Let me know if you want a transcription.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Could it be that the 9th July 1842 was a Saturday / 10th a sunday and I think you may find that the death certificate needs to be registered within 5 days of the event hence the reason for the undertaker doing it a responsible person!

The 5 day rule is only overridden if there is an inquest.....and there is no mewntion on the death cert of this

There is an entry in the newspaper of Thomas FANNING giving information at an inquest London Standard 29/06/1839

Let me know if you want a transcription.
    So, it looks like wifey was absent.

Yes please for the trancription.

Colin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234