Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cdnsctgirl

Default Searching for the LONG and STRETCH families

I'm trying to find out if an Ellen LONG that I've found in 3 censuses is actually my great-great-grandmother.

In 1861, an Ellen LONG was living with her parents and siblings in Hackney, London. The family consisted of: Stephen LONG (34), Dinah LONG (32), Martha Ann LONG (10), George LONG (8), Mary LONG (5), and Ellen LONG (2). All except Ellen were born in Wiltshire.

In 1871, Ellen LONG was living in Bethnal Green, London. This time, she was with her uncle and aunt: William STRETCH (43), Martha STRETCH (44), Ellen LONG (13), and John DREW (28)... I don't know who John DREW is. William and Martha STRETCH were both born in Devizes, Wiltshire.

In 1881, Ellen LONG was living in London with her uncle, William STRETCH, a widower: William STRETCH (52), Mary LONG (25), Ellen LONG (23).

In 1883, my Ellen LONG married William WILSON in Hackney, London. William WILSON's widowed mother, Harriet WILSON, married a William STRETCH at about the same time. I believe this is the same William STRETCH, as his date of birth and occupation (railway policeman) both match.

In 1891, Ellen WILSON (nee LONG) was living in London with her husband and three children, as well as William and Harriet STRETCH (the inlaws).

I'm fairly sure that these two Ellen LONGs are the same woman. What I would like to find out is how Ellen LONG and William STRETCH are actually related. I know they are uncle and niece, but I don't know whether Ellen's mother, Dinah LONG, was born a STRETCH or if Martha STRETCH (William's wife) was born a LONG. In any case, the answer will most likely be found in Wiltshire.

Does anyone have any information on these families? And if not, any ideas on how I could figure out this puzzle?

Thanks,

Sarah
    Last edited by cdnsctgirl; 14-10-2004 at 7:13 AM.

Queen Mimsy

You should look at the website mundia....it has been very helpful.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Mimsy View Post
    You should look at the website mundia....it has been very helpful.
    As long as what you look at, has source and evidence to back it up.

P.S. and please DO read the Terms of Use.
    Last edited by Mutley; 31-03-2013 at 4:29 PM. Reason: Added a P.S.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by cdnsctgirl View Post

I'm fairly sure that these two Ellen LONGs are the same woman. What I would like to find out is how Ellen LONG and William STRETCH are actually related. I know they are uncle and niece, but I don't know whether Ellen's mother, Dinah LONG, was born a STRETCH or if Martha STRETCH (William's wife) was born a LONG. In any case, the answer will most likely be found in Wiltshire.
    Stephen Long married in Qtr Oct 1849 at Melksham, Wiltshire one of 4 ladies, one of whose name was Dinah Grant.

William Stretch married in Qtr Oct 1847 at Devizes, Wiltshire one of 4 ladies, one of whose name was Martha Grant.

Mutley

England & Wales Marriages, 1538-1940
    has a marriage for a William Stretch born about 1827 to a Martha Grant age 22, at Rowde, Wiltshire on 16 Oct 1847.

Fathers are Richard Stretch and John Grant.

Mutley

1841 Census in the Parish of Rowde.
    John Grant 60
    Elizabeth Grant 55
    Eleanor Grant 15
    Martha Grant 15
    Dinah Grant 13
    Henry Grant 8
    Sarah Grant 6
    William Grant 5
    All born in Wiltshire.
    HO107/1184/Book: 10/Folio 23/Page 7

Mutley

England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906
    At Rowde, Wiltshire with parents John and Elizabeth Grant

Martha Grant / Born 1 Jun 1826 / Christened 25 Jun 1826
    Dinah Grant / Born 29 May 1828 / Christened 22 Jun 1828

cdnsctgirl

Wow... I'd totally forgotten about this thread! It has been over 8 years since I started it...

Ellen and Mary Long were sisters, daughters of Stephen Long and Dinah Grant. Dinah and Martha Grant were sisters, daughters of John Grant and Elizabeth Dallimore. Martha Grant was married to William Stretch; they had no children and Martha died in 1874. William Stretch later remarried Ellen's widowed mother-in-law, Harriet Wilson (nee Sheppard).

It's a bit of a tangle, but it's all straightened out now. Even the mysterious "John Drew" on the census may be explained by a look further back into the past. Stephen Long's mother's maiden name was (as far as I can tell) Drew, so John may have been a relative of some sort.

Mutley

I was feeling a bit tired last night and never thought to look at the original date.
    I wonder why Queen Mimsy resurrected it after all this time?

Still, glad you have it sorted and also glad we were on the right track.

Queen Mimsy

I was looking for an Ellen Long and this thread came up. Glad you found yours but I am still looking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast