Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Albert James Barnes

I have posted previous threads about my grandfather Albert James Barnes born in Easthampstead in 1870. I had no real information on him past the 1891 census, except he was named on my fathers birth certificate in 1895. He appears to have separated from my grandmother.
    Well, a little success has got me very excited, sorry but it has been a long road I travelled with him!
    My grandfather Albert James Barnes died on 11th January 1944 in the very house I was born and grew up in. He was aged 73 years and staying with his son, my father. Now I just have the very long gap between 1895 and 1944 to fill in.
    I know I am an old softie but the thought he trod the same steps to bed that I did and tended the same garden is a lovely feeling.
    Any suggestion where I can go from here will be appreciated
    ELMA

Valued member of Brit-Gen.

Hi Elma
    no suggestions from me at the moment I'm afraid but just wanted to say that I can quite understand your excitement - we can all get a buzz from knowing that we are walking in our forebear's footsteps. But to know that you shared the experience of living in the very same house must be great to find out after all this time.

No wonder you are excited - I would be too ! What a great find

Lesley

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Great, I still visit my gran's house...as I have done for nearly 60 years...my uncle still lives there!

1911 census
    RG14 PN 3131 RD 34 SD 3 ED 8
    Bshot Lea FARNHAM
    SNELL Samuel 77 head
    BARNES Mary 43 servant ( crossed out) boarder m 22 years children 4/3/1 b Embcook ( Combrook?) Wokingham Berks

Could this be your Mary Jane...

Only Albert J is b Wiltshire......
    What are children's names?

Otherwise Voters /list / Electoral rolls....local newspapers

genius

courtesey & copyright TNA

Thanks for your comments Genius
    Yes that is my grandmother and I had seen this. Two of her children are next door. This site actually helped me find grandmothers death in Yorkshire of all places (only that the north had never appeared before) and her death certificate stated wife of Albert James, so I worked on the prinicpal he was still alive. Thirty five years after trying to find my grandparents I have found them. It is still a bit like pulling teeth as there are so many gaps. Of the 4 children Mary records on the 1911 census we have the birth and death of the one who died. I also have the birth and death of the two living next to her on the 1911 census, so one is unaccounted for and this is where it gets confusing
    My grandparents had four children
    1. Lydia Elizabeth Barnes born 1889, known as Florence married Thomas Henry Cooper, seen on the 1911 census
    2. Albert Edward Barnes born and died 1891
    3. Albert George Barnes born 4th April 1892
    4. Dendy Barnes born 1895 ( my father) seen on the 1911 census, staying with his married sister Florence.
    The Missing child is then Albert George Barnes the only record we have is his birth certificate and a school entry age 4 saying he entered Wokingham Forest School on 6th Jan 1896 and left four months later on 17 July 1896, saying Gone to the Workhouse. No other records have been found.

My problem is in my excitement of finding grandfathers death, I thought I would try again to find Albert George. I did see a death entry for an Albert Edward ( his dead brothers name) it was in 1976 and records his date of birth as 4th April 1892 the birth date of Albert George. I have sent for it but how on earth am I going to identify this Albert Edward as my Albert George. I am unlikely to recognise informants, wife etc
    Any suggestions or comments would be greatly received.
    With thanks ELMA

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Had a look round and can not come up with anything for Albert George other than his birth details.

Have you thought of looking at the Workhouse records?

geneius

Graham
    Yes, I have ordered the death certificate and I hope it gives the place of birth, that would clinch it. I just hope either of those other two Albert Edwards do not have the same birth date. I hope I will not be disappointed.
    Albert George Barnes was born just a year after his brother Albert Edward was born and died.
    When my brother recorded the school details some thirty years ago, he wrote Albert Edward and we have always wondered if he did it by mistake or was Albert George assuming that name. When we tried checking again at the record office they have no school records for that time, yet we clearly remember seeing them, Frustrating to say the least. I have tried the workhouses and found my father Dendy in The District School, Wargrave (workhouse) 1901 but where was Albert George I do not know, he would have only been 8 years old and we have never found him since so keep your fingers crossed for me.
    Thanks again ELMA

Albert George Barnes born 4th April 1892 in Easthampstead Berkshire.
    I just wanted to nudge this thread as I am still nowhere further finding my fathers brother Albert George Barnes.
    I did send for the death certificate of an Albert Edward Barnes who had the right birthday but no match there.
    All I know is Albert's birth and then an entry for aged 4 years (1896) Wokingham Forest School which says 'Gone to the Workhouse'!
    I have checked workhouse records (1901) but can only find his brother (my father). I believe my father had polio at this time and the workhouse he was in may have also been a hospital. Albert George may then have returned to the family by 1901. I have never found either of his parents or another sibling on this census.
    The family are Albert James Barnes born 1870 Wargrave Berkshire
    wife Mary Jane Barnes born 1868 Wokingham Bershire
    daughter Lydia Elizabeth (Florence) born 1889 Easthamstead Berkshire
    son Albert George Barnes born 1892 Easthampstead Berkshire
    The other child of this marriage is Dendy born 1895, my father. He is accounted for in the Wargrave Industrial School 1901
    My grandmother states on the 1911 census that he was still alive.
    I just do not know where to go from here. Any suggestions gratefully received.
    ELMA

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hello Elma,
    I'll throw this list of Canadian Expeditionary Force attestation papers into the pot.

https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...3=&interval=20

Albert Barnes born 04/04/1889 Reg #401402
    Albert Edward Barnes born 00/00/0000 Reg # 880770
    are the same person.

Click on their names, then on the resulting page, click on Front of Form/Back of Form to see the image of the actual attestation paper.

From research I've done previously on WW1 soldiers, these attestation papers are typical of those of Home Children.

Quote Originally Posted by Elma View Post
    I did send for the death certificate of an Albert Edward Barnes who had the right birthday but no match there.
    Elma, could you tell me what was contained on this death cert so that I can attempt to sort out/eliminate the various Albert Barnes?

I think this soldier is your Albert George Barnes. Perhaps when he was sent to the workhouse, his middle name was somehow misstated as Albert Edward Barnes.

This soldier returned to Canada on the Scotian on 15 May 1919, destination - friend, Blenheim Ontario.

Then in 1921, there is this marriage, transcribed on this free Ontario Marriages website, set up many years ago and maintained by Mary Crandall:

https://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.c...c/kent1921.htm

Note that while Albert Edward Barnes gives an incorrect father's name & place of birth, he states his mother is Mary Cooper.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast