Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

From UK Incoming Passenger Lists: In November 1921, this couple, Albert Edward Barnes and wife Elizabeth return to England on the Minnedosa. He is a 32 year old electrician, she a 21 year old housewife. Their address in the UK is to be 75 Herbert St, Hoxton, London, N1. They intend to live permanently in England.

Then, from the Canada, Ocean Arrivals (Form 30A) on Ancestry, arriving on the Antonia on June 12, 1922, 23 year old Elizabeth Barnes returns to Canada with her 9 month old daughter Mary Barnes, who was born in Shoreditch. They are going to join her husband at The Rectory, Blenheim Ontario. Their passage has been paid by the Guardians, Parish of Shoreditch. Her nearest relative in England is sister Rhoda Desmond at 75 Herbert St, Hoxton.

From Ontario Death Registrations: Mary Elizabeth Barnes dies in Blenheim, Kent county, Ontario, on Apr 18, 1923, age 1 year, 2 months, 11 days, born in England on Feb 7, 1921 (sic). Her parents are George Barnes & Elizabeth Desmond, both born England. She has resided at place of death for 1 month & in Ontario for 7 months. Cause of death is malnutrition, contributory cause "d........ of heart". Burial is in Evergreen Cemetery, Blenheim.

Looking at the Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid, an index of cemetery transcriptions in Ontario, these Barnes are listed on tombstones (not necessarily buried) in Evergreen Cemetery in Blenheim:

Albert
    Albert E.
    Albert G.
    Beverley J.
    John Henry

Knowledgeable and helpful

Adele
    I am so excited I can hardly reply.
    My Albert George was born on 4th April 1892 a year or so after his brother Albert Edward. Albert Edward was born on 1st March 1891 and died four months later. From this point the names may have got confused. On the school record we found for Albert George it stated Albert Edward We may possibly have mistranscribed at the record office but do not think so, apparently this school record does not seem available any more!
    In answer to your question
    The death certificate for Albert Edward is on 21st June 1976 at 42 Tweedsmuir Close, Basingstoke, Hampshire
    Birth 4th April 1892 Streatham London
    Occupation Clerk
    Informant Joan Eva Oxlade Blaize Daughter
    Must go and re read your posts I am so grateful
    Elma

I'm so pleased to have been able to help.

Here's one more possible sighting, on the Home Children passenger lists to Canada, in care of Dr. Barnardo's:

https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...6uje23rpm26194

Famous for offering help & advice

I'm very pleased for you too Elma!
    If this is your Albert then Barnardos have a family history service which may be able to provide his records for a fee.

Adele
    There are so many coincidences here. I am very hopeful
    If Albert left the UK in 1904 do you think he would have stayed in Canada until joining up. Then he gets married in 1921 returns to the UK briefly before retuning to Canada, possibly dying there.
    I am trying to get my head around it and that is not easy when you are exited. Cant do anything just now!
    Elma

Elma,
    I'm not an expert on Home Children, but based on what I've seen on a few Home Children that I've researched, Albert was probably supervised by Dr. Barnardo's organization until he reached that age of 18. Then there would have been a plan put in place for his leaving care, and possibly money from his "fund"(earnings while in the care of foster parents), given to him. Many home children just disappeared from the official paperwork at age 18, much like foster children today.

This may be Albert on the 1911 Canadian census:

https://automatedgenealogy.com/census...g+A.+E.+Barnes

Click split view at the top of the page in the above link to see the image of the actual census sheet.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Such good sightings Adele,........very happy for your excitement ELMA. Hope it all works out clearly.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Having calmed down today, I will try and get in touch with Barnado's. I have been looking for my father's family since 1972!
    With this sites help I have found his mother and sister in Yorkshire. I also found his fathers death. Now all that leaves is Albert.
    Staying grounded I note there are other Albert Barnes so I do not want to get my hopes up too quickly. There is a lot of work to do. I am thinking the death certificate I have could possibly link up ( if Albert returned to the UK). I had discounted it because of the place of birth being Streatham not Easthampstead, Berkshire but the date of birth was right. Now the Albert we have seen in Canada does not know where he was born. So I had better look more into Albert from Streatham
    It is quite sad really as it appears Albert went to the workhouse at barely four years of age. He may not really know where he was born etc. His parents appear to have split up.
    Well Adele you have gone to Sainthood in my mind. Never mind if it does not pan out it certainly has got me working in a different direction and I look forward to reading up more about the Home Children.
    Thank you again
    ELMA

I have looked again through the 1901 census for England and one possibility comes up.
    the only Albert E Barnes age 10 years, away from family is
    RG13 1189 Folio 154 Page 6
    Barnes Albert E age 10 Birth Place not known Probably within the Metropolitan Police District

The Institution is The Metropolitan and City Police Orphanage, Wellsley House, Twickenham

I am not sure if there is any connection to Barnardos or not and whether a child from Wokingham would even have gone there.
    Does anyone have any comments on this?
    With thanks ELMA

Quote Originally Posted by Elma View Post
    So I had better look more into Albert from Streatham
    I've tracked this Albert Edward Barnes back in time. Based on the informant's name, I think that this Albert Edward Barnes married Mabel Winn in 1914, and I've found his WW1 papers on Ancestry's British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast