Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    janbooth

Well spotted Jeremy - looking under the female name DAFFY the marriage shows up as to William HANKENS - that will teach me not to do things in a hurry!! Sorry Dalek. From the entry it looks as if either William or Mary was of Ledbury, whichever of them corresponds to an = as my disc does not say which is the male symbol and which the female!! There is however an extracted baptism on Hugh Wallis's IGI site at Ledbury of a William HANKINS on 21 December 1709, parents William & Elisabeth - maybe a tad too early but perhaps a possiblity.

Janet

dalek39

Jeremy....thanks for that...William and Mary are the ones....infact..William Hankins owned the Pidgeon House Farm in Weston Beggard..Herefordshire....I am expecting mail (photos) of the farm from the present owner...he's been so nice....pity I couldn't post them to the thread... And Colwall..my apologies...being this far away,(Aust).. not familiar with your landmarks.... I think that The Hankins Janbooth gave me are related to my William...as I have a will with some of the names included...this I must confirm... so....many thanks to all....(big smile)..

dalek39

Jan 1954 Found a William and Mary Hankins married at Upton Upon Severn..Worcestershire...is that near Herefordshire...that was on Archon directory... It did not state if it was Mary Daffy...so I'm not sure if it is the right one..but it may be Williams parents???

jeeb

Hi dalek39,
    Weston Beggard is a small village about 5 miles from Hereford city. It is probably about 15 miles from Colwall. Colwall is a village nestling on the Herefordshire side of the Malvern Hills which is basically the border between Herefordshire & Worcestershire. Upton on Severn lies on the Worcestershire side of Malvern Hills about 8 miles from Colwall. Jan stated that either William Hankins or Mary Daffy came from Ledbury (she was not sure which) Ledbury is in Herefordshire about 7 miles from Colwall. If Mary Daffy came from Ledbury & William Hankins came from Weston Beggard it is strange they would go to Colwall to marry? Did they move to Weston Beggard after their marriage maybe?
    Hankins is a fairly common name in the Colwall area appearing in several parishes in the vacinity both in Herefordshire & Worcestershire.

Jeremy

jeeb

Hi dalek39,
    I decided to look a little closer into this family for you. It seems that William & Mary remained or at least baptised 2 children in Colwall after their marriage - Peggy 1756 & Anne 1757. A William & Mary Hankins certainly turn up in Weston Beggard and baptise 2 children William 1768 & Richard 1772. Now is this the same couple? A marriage of a Peggy Hankins at Weston Beggard in 1774 would suggest it is. However where are William & Mary between 1757 & 1768?
    I noticed that 2 earlier Hankins marriages took place in Weston Beggard ie an Edward & an Eleanor. Do you know who these people were and their connection to William? Edward is a possibility for a father.

Jeremy

dalek39

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Well spotted Jeremy - looking under the female name DAFFY the marriage shows up as to William HANKENS - that will teach me not to do things in a hurry!! Sorry Dalek. From the entry it looks as if either William or Mary was of Ledbury, whichever of them corresponds to an = as my disc does not say which is the male symbol and which the female!! There is however an extracted baptism on Hugh Wallis's IGI site at Ledbury of a William HANKINS on 21 December 1709, parents William & Elisabeth - maybe a tad too early but perhaps a possiblity.

Janet
    Thanks for that Janet....I did find a William Hankins..born 1729 Worcestershire...I arrived at this, and I am not experienced..at taking off 25 yrs of his marriage in 1755..which gives me a date around 1730..? .is this right..I know it leaves open for error...but I'm looking around the Ledbury...
    Worcestershire area.....Maybe the Hankins of 1709 is the grandfather...
    I did see Mary Daffy has a sister ? Sarah..who married in Munsley...father Moses Hankins. He married in Colwall in 1761..to Ann Handcocks...I think he's Mary Daffys father....?? I take it she comes from the Colwall area.. just trying to track things down...not cause a headache. (Smile)

dalek39

Jeeb.....I think that they moved to Weston Beggard after they married...bought a farm Pidgeon House.. I have Peggy and Anne Hankins born at Colwall, so it would have been well after that...sorry Jeeb..just saw your post and you stated that...should read above before I send reply...

dalek39

Jeeb....Yes..Peggy and Anne are daughters of William and Mary..They had a .son William. born 1768...Weston Beggard....William of 1757 & 1768 married a Mary, who died Apr. 17 1798 age 63..buried at Weston Beggard with William....He died on 5 Oct.1833..also..Richard...born 1772...brother of William (1768) died 1841 He was married to Ann Hall of Dormington...A/K as Anna Maria... William also had a daughter Elizabeth..died 1791..age 17? also buried at Weston Beggard...does all this help?

dalek39

I dont have anything on Edward and Eleanor....but I do know that the name Edward carried through each generation that I have...will try and check that out.

jeeb

Quote Originally Posted by dalek39 View Post
    Jeeb....Yes..Peggy and Anne are daughters of William and Mary..They had a .son William. born 1768...Weston Beggard....William of 1757 & 1768 married a Mary, who died Apr. 17 1798 age 63..buried at Weston Beggard with William....He died on 5 Oct.1833..also..Richard...born 1772...brother of William (1768) died 1841 He was married to Ann Hall of Dormington...A/K as Anna Maria... William also had a daughter Elizabeth..died 1791..age 17? also buried at Weston Beggard...does all this help?
    Hi dalek39,
    Sorry but I'm a little confused by the above! I had found Peggy 1756, Anne 1757, William 1768 & Richard 1772 and realised they were probably all children of William & Mary (Daffy)
    What is confusing me is that you say 'William born 1757 & 1768 married a Mary'. You then say Mary died 1798 aged 63 (this makes her born 1735)
    and she is buried with William who died in 1833. I am wondering if you are mixing the Williams up? Is Mary who died in 1798 actually Mary Daffy in which case she is the mother of William born 1768. I don't know of a William born 1757? How old is the William who died in 1833?

It is interesting you say William Hankins bought the Pidgeon House because if he did his name will be on the Deeds. You said you are in touch with the present occupiers who seem very helpful. Could you ask them if they have access to the Deeds of the Pidgeon House and could they check to see if the name Hankins appears on them. It would also be interesting to find a tythe map of the area, although I fear that would be too late for the period you are interested in. Did the Pidgeon House belong to a Manor? In which case you may find details of the family as tenants and a previous generation to William & Mary may have lived there.
    If you have Edward running through the family it is highly likely the Edward in Weston Beggard pre William's appearance there is related, even his father. Do you know of any further children born to William & Mary (Daffy) especially born in the years between 1757 & 1768? Did William leave a Will?

Jeremy

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast