SAConnection

Cool Rhodesian Records pre 1960

Hi all,

Once again, I don't know if I'm in the right place, but here goes anyway.

My grandmother had three sisters, two of whom I can account for. However, the third one, known as Frances, married one Victor Leake. She was born around 1888, so give or take, she was probably married in about 1918. As far as I know they were living in Johannesburg, South Africa in 1930 when the eldest sister died, as they're mentioned on her Death Notice. However, after that, they seem to disappear.

It has occurred to me that they may have left South Africa and gone to live in Southern Rhodesia. Lots of people did that - the life there was so much better than what was being experienced in this country. Since both Rhodesias were under British Rule at that time, are there any records at TNA or elsewhere of movements between South Africa and Southern Rhodesia? They would've had to go through S Rhodesia to get to N Rhodesia anyway, and also to Kenya, Uganda, Tanganyika and Nyasaland. Can't spell those old names anymore. If they did go that way, she may also have gone by her correct names which were ALETTA FRANCIENA HENDRIENA, and her maiden name was Summers or Somers. Don't even ask - it's too complicated, and I'm still trying to unravel the mystery myself.

I've checked shipping movements between England and SA, going to Australia, etc, but haven't found either her or Victor. There's also nothing on our National Archives website to indicate when they died.

Thanks once again for all the help you've given me in the past. You're all STARS, and deserve medals.

Take care
    Best wishes
    Jane Gage

SAConnection

Hi all,

I hope the above message was read. For once, I think I've got something that's beyond the brickwall. I honestly don't know where to go to look for these people. We don't have those kind of records in this country. Any takers?

Jane

georgeinmalawi

Jane
    Its been a long time since you posted your thread. May I suggest checking with the South African embassy in Zimbabwe ( Rhodesia)
    Check with the British embassies in Zimbabwe , Malawi ( Nyasaland ) Zambia ( Northern Rhodesia ) Good hunting.

reagrds

George

SAConnection

Hi George,
    Sorry I've taken so long to reply. Thanks for your reply and help. Unfortunately, it seems that the Archives, especially in Zimbabwe, are in total disarray, and the South African embassy there would be of absolutely no use anyway. They're not interested in anyone trying to trace dead rellies, especially - and I'm not racist, it's a fact - if that person happens to be White. I found another link to the Zim archives, but I've gone and mislaid it. I have so many pieces of paper, notes, etc around my computer - file by heap!!!!
    Thanks once again, and have a good day.
    Regards
    Jane

Karo

Hi Jane - don't know if you have had any luck with the above - have found this reference though - the names were too similar to ignore:
    Andries Johannes Somers
    Surname: Somers First Name: Andries Johannes
    Age Of Groom: 27 Years Occupation Of Groom: Onderwyser
    Country Of Birth Of Groom: Edenburg Roospoort Date Of Marriage: 03 July 1881
    Surname Of Bride: Van Niekerk First Name Of Bride: Aletta Francina Hendrina
    Age Of Bride: 16 Years Country Of Birth Of Bride: Fauresmith - Kopfontein
    Surname Of Witness 1: Cloete First Name Of Witness 1: FSE
    Surname Of Witness 2: Van Niekerk First Name Of Witness 2: GJ
    Surname Of Minister: Meiring First Name Of Minister: AWP
    Name Of Church: Edenburg Church Denomination: Nederduits Gereformeerde

Aletta Francina Hendrina married a 2nd time:
    Hendrik Wilhelm Herbst
    Surname: Herbst First Name: Hendrik Wilhelm
    Age Of Groom: 35 Years Occupation Of Groom: Slagter
    Country Of Birth Of Groom: Edenburg Date Of Marriage: 20 April 1895
    Age Of Bride: 28 Years Country Of Birth Of Bride: Edenburg
    Status Of Bride: Widow First Name Of Previous Spouse: AJ
    Surname Of Previous Spouse: Somers Surname Of Witness 1: Hoffmann
    First Name Of Witness 1: EB Surname Of Witness 2: De Villiers
    First Name Of Witness 2: R Surname Of Minister: Papenfus
    First Name Of Minister: H Name Of Church: Bloemfontein
    Church Denomination: Magistrates Office

Hope this is of some help.
    Karolyn

SAConnection

Hi Karolyn,

Thank you so much for all your efforts, which I really appreciate. Andries Johannes Somers, in this case, was my grandmother's father and Aletta, her mother. I didn't know her mother had remarried so that is great!! At least now I can hunt again on the Archives site under her new name. She was known as Lottie Summers (changed the spelling to look more English) in 1932 when her oldest daughter, Anna, died. Very interesting. It also means that the possibility exists that my grandmothers two younger sisters weren't Summers at all, but Herbst!!! Curiouser and curiouser as Alice would say. There were four daughters and a son, whose names were also Andries Johannes Somers as far as I can remember. THIS is a real turn-up for the books.
    I see you're also based in SA - where abouts are you. Maybe we can correspond via email. Many thanks again. You're a real star.
    Best wishes
    Jane

SAConnection

Hi again,
    Like I said, curiouser and curiouser!!! I went and filled in all the new info on Aletta's page, and then did a search on the Archives site. The new husband died the same year!!!!! Oh my word........obviously she then decided to go back to being Aletta Summers, known as Lottie to all. The estate file is in the Bloemfontein Archives - will have to add it to my ever-growing pile and hopefully get there some time this year. Now my curiosity is really aroused. I have a copy from the NG Kerk archives in CT of Aletta's marriage to Andries Somers (pronounced Summers because he was of Norwegian descent). Her age is given as 16, but from another source, and I don't think I kept that particular email, her birth date was given as 1865. Mind you, they weren't very good at keeping dates and things properly then, especially in those little dorps. I also had a look at the eGGSA site for the Edenburg cemetery, but only some of the graves have been photographed. That's going to be a very interesting trip - I just hope that we don't have problems with the "locals" in Edenburg.
    Take care and if you find anything else, please let me know. I'm also on Facebook - a black cat with a bottle cap on it's head - if you want to contact me that way.
    Best wishes
    Jane

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Lotriet/Janjetich South Africa and S Rhodesia

Hi Karolyn I saw you message to Jane regarding her search for Somers and I was wondering & hoping that just maybe you could assist me with my search for my great grandparents marriage which took place at The Roman Catholic Church Pretoria ( or perhaps it was just registered there) Here is a link to my great grandfather's Janjetich's profile and there is also a copy of his Death Notice included. On that DN it states they were married in Pretoria and though no date of marriage was supplied, I assume it was in the late 1880's - early 1900's. The spelling of the surname is slightly different. https://www.geni.com/people/Antonius...00023842734634 I am try to trace my great grandmother's Lotriet family and I have been searching for over 9 years without success.

Thank you Jeanette Begoff

This was your message to Jane years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karo View Post
    Hi Jane - don't know if you have had any luck with the above - have found this reference though - the names were too similar to ignore:
    Andries Johannes Somers
    Surname: Somers First Name: Andries Johannes
    Age Of Groom: 27 Years Occupation Of Groom: Onderwyser
    Country Of Birth Of Groom: Edenburg Roospoort Date Of Marriage: 03 July 1881
    Age Of Bride: 16 Years Country Of Birth Of Bride: Fauresmith - Kopfontein
    Surname Of Witness 1: Cloete First Name Of Witness 1: FSE
    Surname Of Witness 2: Van Niekerk First Name Of Witness 2: GJ
    Surname Of Minister: Meiring First Name Of Minister: AWP
    Name Of Church: Edenburg Church Denomination: Nederduits Gereformeerde

Aletta Francina Hendrina married a 2nd time:
    Hendrik Wilhelm Herbst
    Surname: Herbst First Name: Hendrik Wilhelm
    Age Of Groom: 35 Years Occupation Of Groom: Slagter
    Country Of Birth Of Groom: Edenburg Date Of Marriage: 20 April 1895
    Age Of Bride: 28 Years Country Of Birth Of Bride: Edenburg
    Status Of Bride: Widow First Name Of Previous Spouse: AJ
    Surname Of Previous Spouse: Somers Surname Of Witness 1: Hoffmann
    First Name Of Witness 1: EB Surname Of Witness 2: De Villiers
    First Name Of Witness 2: R Surname Of Minister: Papenfus
    First Name Of Minister: H Name Of Church: Bloemfontein
    Church Denomination: Magistrates Office

Hope this is of some help.
    Karolyn

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Anything From Rhodesian History

Hi everyone,

I am also looking for records for my dads mom and dad. I cannot find anything. I have searched on every platform I am able to.

Can anyone else help?

PS I have got into contact with someone in Zimbabwe to find the relevant documents but at a high price so am waiting for that to be last option ever.

Sincerely
    PixieChixie