Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Where did he serve?

I have just received the death certificate of a great uncle who died in New Zealand in 1941. His occupation is shown as "marble polisher/returned soldier"

James Henry Sanders was born in Torquay Jan/Mar 1885. He emigrated to New Zealand in 1926, age 41, when his occupation was given as "machinest". Logic suggests that any military service would have occurred whilst he was in UK, probably First World War. This has intrigued me and I would like to find out more.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my next steps should be?

Geoffers

Surviving army service records are available on the pay-per-view site 'ancestry' - note the word 'surviving' as the majority were damaged or destroyed in WW2.

If he was injured/received a pension there may possibly be some other record, but look for a service record first.

Reputation beyond repute

You could start reading with this National Archives research advice

I'm not familiar with NZ death certificates but would have thought that "returned soldier" was referring to more recent regular service, in one army or another, rather than just harking back to WW1. The difference is significant because it affects where you might look for records.

Thanks both.

Peter - I too thought it might refer to service after his arrival in New Zealand but, given his age, it seemed he would have been rather old for voluntary enlistment and too old for conscription in 1939. However, I realise I cannot ignore that possibility.

Very quick off the mark.

Ancestry has reords for

James Henry Sanders

Address: 35 Westbourne Rd, Torquay

Regimental Number: 1462

Regimental name : Devon Frotress RE

There are apparently 24 images. I haven't looked at them but if you would like me to just let me know.

Regards,

maggie

Many thanks, Maggie, that looks promising. I know his brother was born in that area of Torquay although I do not have James Henry's birth certificate.

If such things are shown, his parents were Frederick and Mary Ann Sanders and his wife was Lily Eustace Sanders. I would much appreciate it if you would kindly take a look at the records you have found. However I know that Sanders was not an uncommon name in the Torquay area so I shall not be surprised if it is not my man.

Very quick off the mark.

I thnik this must be him as it mentions a wife Lily who died in 1918.

I will send you a PM.

Regards,

maggie

Thanks Maggie.

PM received.

The information Maggie has been able to provide answers all my questions (until I think of some more). Thanks to all who have shown an interest.