Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springall'sof

Philip

Red face Springall'sof

Hello All
    Philip here, trying to investigate the Springall family history,George Springall (GS)b. 1813. who I know for sure moved from Norfolk to the strand London, according to the 1851 census.

I have discovered George Springall lived in Stratton St Mary (aka Long Stratton) Depwade in 1841- but is not there in 1845, nor are the family he has mentioned in the 1851 census with 3 off spring & wife Elizabeth. I have not found an exact match with dates regarding GS

I know there are other Springall's in the Norfolk area, but have failed to make any other positive links.

If anybody could offer any ideas, I would be grateful, thanks, Philip

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    George Springall (GS)b. 1813. who I know for sure moved from Norfolk to the strand London, according to the 1851 census.
    Does the 1851 census give his birthplace, or does it just record Norfolk?

Were the three children born in London or Norfolk?
    When and where was the oldest child born?
    What I am hoping is that George married sometime after the introduction of civil registration and we can help you to locate the marriage certificate. If the marriage was anytime after the introduction of civil registration then it should name his father and his father's occupation. That may then tie up with any parish records you can locate.

Is his the marriage in Mar qtr 1838 in Depwade RD?? Was his wife Phoebe PAGE??

I know there are other Springall's in the Norfolk area, but have failed to make any other positive links.
    Whatever you do, keep a record of them along with references so that you can locate them again. Though SPRINGALL is a frequently occurring name throughout Norfolk.

Philip

Thumbs up George Springall esq.

Hi Geoffers
    Yes I now realise how many Springalls where around! the 1851 census has been quite a revelation to us. but because of the number of Springalls pre 1851 I have had a couple of dead-end leads. So from the 1851 census, i can assertain that George & wife Elizabeth both 38, both born Norfolk, no more concise detail.
    Details on census= 14 Wyche Street, St Clement Dane, Westminster

Eldest child Ann E aged 18 b. Norfolk
    George 17 b. ''
    Mary A 12 b. Suffolk
    Harry 10 b. Westminster
    Edward 8 b. ''
    Robert 6 b. ''
    Sanne 4 ''
    Eleanor 1 ''
    I'm not sure but there may of been elder children i.e. Edward 24 & Mary 20
    Thanks, Philip

Copper

Have you got the birth certificate for one of their children? This would give you the maiden name of Elizabeth.

Geoffers

You mentioned......

I have discovered George Springall lived in Stratton St Mary (aka Long Stratton) Depwade in 1841- but is not there in 1845, nor are the family he has mentioned in the 1851 census with 3 off spring & wife Elizabeth
    and that the 1851 census records these two children..........

Mary A 12 b. Suffolk
    Harry 10 b. Westminster
    Bearing in mind the frequency of the surname SPRINGALL in Norfolk, are you sure that it is your George in Depwade? The births of the above children would hint towards him being in either Suffolk, or London........somewhere.........searching the 1841 census I found:

HO107/673/7 f38 p69
    Little Wild Street, Finsbury St.Giles
    George SPRINGELL, 25, engineer
    Elizabeth SPRINGELL, 25
    George SPRINGELL, 8
    Ann SPRINGELL, 9
    Mary Ann SPRINGELL, 2
    Henry SPRINGELL, 3mth

I'd go with Copper's suggestion of looking for a birth certificate for one of the children

Do you have this family in any later census returns which give birthplaces?

Philip

I did think that south norfolk would make sense regarding George, as 1851 does say b. Norfolk for both and no I may well be wrong about the depwade area.
    Intresting you have found George SPRINGELL 25 and Elizabeth SPRINGELL 25, on the 1851 George SPRINGALL is recorded as being an engineer, age 38 -both

Have yet to find later entry

P

Copper

I searched the IGI and to my surprise came up with these extracted bpts

All baptised 26 Feb 1860 at St Clement Danes, Westminster. The parents are George Robinson Springall & Ann Elizabeth.

Ann Elizabeth born 27 Jan 1832
    Eleanor born 29 June 1849
    Robert born 19 June 1845
    Samuel born 31 May 1847
    William born 6 Sep 1851
    Harriett born 26 Mar 1855

I think that we might be on to something with these.

I have not been able to find them in a later census either.

Copper

After a short break for a spot of decorating I have searched a census again for these Springalls. I just had to tell you about these -

RG10/645 Fol 13 Page 19
    Rotherhithe, Kent
    Robert Springall, head, mar, age 25, born St Clement Danes, occ Engineer at Rollis'? Factory

RG10/ 1623 Fol 39 Page 21
    West Ham, Essex
    Samuel Springall, head, mar, age 23, born St Clement Danes, occ Engine Fitter

Do you see a common theme here? If I find anything else I will post it here.

Copper

Here is some more of the family in 1871

RG10/ 363 Fol 26 Page 13
    Westminster

Edward Springall, head, mar, 28, born St Clement Danes, occ Steam engine maker employing 2 men and 2 boys.
    Also with him were -
    his mother - Ann Springall, mar, age 59, born Yarmouth, Norfolk
    his sister Eleanor Springall, age 21, born St Clement Danes
    his brother William Springall, age 19 born St Clement Danes, occ Steam engine fitter

I can't find any member of this family in 1861.

I hope that this helps.

Geoffers

This is pure supposition to try and get a lead to work on in Norfolk. It may lead to something or you may be able to show it is the wrong direction fairly simply and so discount it and several other Norfolk SPRINGALLs living in London.

In the census returns for George SPRINGALL (b1813-ish Norfolk), his wife, children and apparent grandchildren, several names repeatedly crop up in the male line - George, William, Edward. I got to wondering if George either preceded or followed other SPRINGALLs to London and if these were names which repeated in other branches of the family.

George's eldest son (George bc1832) seems to appear in 1871 at RG10/1541 f52 p10 sch64 in St George in the East, his birthplace recorded as Sudbury, Suffolk and he was a gatekeeper at a lock.

There are a couple of other George's in the same census, bn c.1839 and c.1848, also a William bn c. 1821 - all in or around London and an Edward bn c.1800 in Norfolk. There is a common birthplace with all of these, a small village about 10 miles NNW of Norwich called Sall (also spelt Salle). In the 1820s-30s it would be simple for someone in Sall to get to Aylsham and then passage along the Bure to Yarmouth where a young lass - perhaps called Elizabeth, might give you the glad eye

If you have time and the opportunity, it may be worthwhile checking the parish registers to see if there was a George baptised there around 1813-ish - if only to disprove the connection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast