Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    kazzaa

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    It looks like another forum member also had ancestors travelling on the Balranald in 1925.
    Thankyou Jan, seems that way.. Yes, my grandparents travelled from London leaving Dec 23 1925 for Australia.
    I would like to know if any one knows what the conditions would have been like ??

Thanks
    Karen

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi My Mother and Grandparents would have been fellow passengers on that trip!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi
    Actually I have rechecked your thread and my family would have come on the previous trip in July.
    I am not too sure what you want to know about the ship.

My aunt came in 1923 and as my mother and grandparents then booked on the same ship in 1925 I would asssume that my Aunt highly recommended the vessel.

I have a very nice picture of my Aunt at the rails on Empire Day landing at Freemantle with friends made on board. She is very happy and actually met her future husband, a member of the crew, on the voyage.

My mother also had a ship board romance but alas that was where it ended. I am glad however as my father was a better catch I am sure!!!

My Mum spoke of very happy times on board, deck games, concerts etc etc. It seems as if it was quite a holiday. I have a very happy picture of my Grandfather on board smoking his pipe with friends all around.

Actually I think that your grandparents and the 5 children would have had a marvellous time over Christmas especially the children . Probably more entertainmnet on board than they would have ever had at home!

I am not sure what it is you are wanting to know but everything I have heard has been very positive and no problems at all.
    Marj.

SueNSW

Just a very small point - but was the year they departed actually 1926 - there is no sailing shown for this date in 1925 - but there is a passenger list on Find My Past for a 1926 departure that left 23rd December - and Shipping Intelligence columns in The Times report she left an anchorage in Tor Bay on 24th December 1926 arrived Cape Town 12th January 1927 - leaving the next day - arriving Melbourne 5th February and due in Sydney on 12th February

Cheers
    Sue

kazzaa

Marj & Sue,

Thankyou very much. Yes 1926, sorry..It's great to hear their journey was not doom & gloom..and now i know what the transit time was. Fantastic.

Sue, could i look up Shipping Intelligence columns in The Times ?

Thanks
    Karen

SueNSW

Hi Karen - not sure where in Australia you are - a few big libraries offer free access to The Times archives - here in NSW none of my local ones do - but I can get it through the State Library but you need to be a member and an NSW resident

Another source though that is free and easy to access is the National Library Australian newspaper archives online - https://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home - a search of just "Balranald" around the dates brings up a few references to the town - but many to the shipping news too

Good Luck

Sue

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaa View Post
    Marj & Sue,

Thankyou very much. Yes 1926, sorry..It's great to hear their journey was not doom & gloom..and now i know what the transit time was. Fantastic.

Sue, could i look up Shipping Intelligence columns in The Times ?

Thanks
    Karen
    Karen,

Go to the State Library of Victoria site at:

https://www.
    slv.vic.gov.au/

As a Victorian resident you can sign up to access a number of sites for free via the net from home including the Time Online Archives.

kazzaa

Thanks Procat & Sue,

I really appriciate you help...i'll be checking it out very soon, i just have to find more time.

Karen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12