Hello All

Having had a good deal of help elsewhere on the Forum and still hitting a brick wall I am now trying to think of possible alternative records that might help me trace my maternal grandmother's family.I have her birth certificate showing that she was born illegitimately in 1907 in Poulton cum Seacombe on the Wirral,her mother's name from the birth certificate,the address of her birth and even the name of the midwife who delivered her(she was the informant).Subsequently I have located her in the 1911 Census as a nurse child living with a family in Liverpool which I know to be correct through our family.The problem I have is that her mother's name is quite common,Annie Ellen Griffiths,and consequently difficult to pin down.I have a number of possibilities in the area of the birth but nothing that allows me to pin it down exactly.

The first question is how did my grandmother get from Seacombe to live with a family in Liverpool.There are no family links with the family she was living with so how was she placed-for example does anyone know of any organisations operating in the Wirral/Liverpool area that would place illegitimate children in 1907?Secondly are there likely to be any records that may relate to the midwife eg by this time was there any requirement to produce records for the local health board/local authority and if so where might they be held?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as frustratingly this is the only branch of the family that I have got a problem with.

Ian