squirrelnut

Question translation please

Hi everyone,can some kind sole translate Kerry House from English to Welsh.This is supposed to now be a listed building,it is in Ffoss-y-ffin cardiganshire.Apperantly my mothers family lived here for many years.
    After two years on my fathers tree i now want to find my mothers family.

Boy! am i going to need help JONES!!!!!

sharpy45

Hi Squirrel

House is Ty in welsh so it should translate simply as Ty Kerry, though it could also be Kerri. Kerry is Irish Gaelic in origin; in Wales it's quite likely that it could be Ceri, which could make sense as there is a river Ceri in Ceredigion

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi squirrelnut, welcome to the vast numbers of us who have a "Jones" tucked away in our Family file. Luckily mine was among many so I left them there, 'file 13'. Don't be disheartened, yours may fall into your lap.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

squirrelnut

Thankyou Sharpy and Waitabit,now i need to find out where the house actually was .or is it still standing.
    The Welsh Archives sent me a lot of info from 1850s to 1901 which was fantastic.
    I did get to find the family in the 1911 census unfortunatley lost them.This is my BRICKWALL and it may stay there.

Hi Squirrelnut, not certain if you are still around on here? There are no listed buildings in Ffos y Ffin - However there is a listed building named Cilthriew, in Kerry in Powys. This was once a farm - hope this helps?

KERRY -- CERI, river name in the old county of Dyfed and Porth Ceri, near Barry. Could be from "caru" (to love)
    Name it TY CERI, it would endear you to the welsh speaking locals !!