Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    JillianR

Hi there Birdlip, sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. I think it's entirely possible Ruth had a child before she married Simon. She was 34 by then. I actually wondered if Anne and George were hers, they seem a bit young to be her brother and sister when you take into account Francis's age. I have 2 marriages for him I think, Francis Rydale m. Eliz Barnes in 1782 Glossop (when he was 20) then Francis Ridall m. Ruth Marshall 1799 Castleton (when he was 37). Hannah would have been 9 in 1841, I'll have a look for her.

birdlip

Aha!

George Marshall REDALL ch 30 may 1830 Edale Derby Mother Ruth REDALL [Batch C048572]

So George was definitely Ruths, isn't he the one you found in Sheffield in 1851?

birdlip

Quote Originally Posted by JillianR View Post
    I have 2 marriages for him I think, Francis Rydale m. Eliz Barnes in 1782 Glossop (when he was 20) then Francis Ridall m. Ruth Marshall 1799 Castleton (when he was 37)
    Yes, I saw that Glossop marriage and wondered if it was him.

JillianR

Yes, that's him! No father's name on any of these records, is there?
    I've found more about Francis...at Chinley Independent Chapel.... a burial for Elizabeth Ridal age 24 of Chinley, wife of Francis buried 4 Jul 1788. Poor thing, so young. Children baptised same place to Francis and Elizabeth were Mary 1782, Hannah 1784 and Esther 1785.

birdlip

No father, no.

Well done. I think I remember seeing a marriage for an Esther on IGI last night, when I was trawling through.

JillianR

It would make a lot more sense if Ann age 18 was Hannah age 8 on the census but at least George has been identified. I'll look for a bit longer then order that marriage cert to Simon Large and see if it says widow or spinster....thanks for your help, could have taken me months on my own!

birdlip

A pleasure. Its been good fun, let us know when you get the cert. I wonder if she'll remember who her father is this time?

I'm off to bed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123