barrie wise

Default The National Archives - assistance required.

I am trying to obtain information regarding John Foreman, born Greenwich, about 1769, and TNA have a copy of his military record in WO 97/850/26. Is any kind member of the Forum likely be going to Kew and could possible obtain a copy of his record please?
    He possibly came to Australia and maybe Van Diemen's Land with the 73rd Foot Regiment or the 102nd Foot Regiment, and at some stage ended up in India and Ceylon where he married a Jane Fetters [Fettes] about 1807-1820, and the family eventually ended up in Van Diemen's Land again in 1821, where John was the recipient of a Chelsea pension.

Many thanks in anticipation of any help.
    Barrie.

bumblebee

Hi Barrie

If no one happens to be able to get the record for you there is a 'Request This' button where you can request an estimate of cost for a paper copy to be posted to you or as a pdf file. It is much easier if you get a look up I know but I just wanted to make sure you knew it was not your only option.

Bumbebee

Reputation beyond repute

there is a 'Request This' button
    Have you read this?

The phrase "we will not search...within the WO 97 series" does not look very hopeful

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Have you read this?

The phrase "we will not search...within the WO 97 series" does not look very hopeful
    I believe the above relates to post 1853 discharges, where a whole box would need to be searched.

TNA's guidance notes say:

"we will not search:
    * within any document for an individual, unless the catalogue description indicates that the file is for that particular person only"

The document Barrie wants is individually catalogued by surname and is for that particular person only, so it should be OK to order in this way.

That said, I gather the ordering service is in a state of flux at present, so there's no knowing what might happen.

Reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't discourage him from trying, if he hasn't already done so but "Please be aware that the last digit of the item reference for an individual soldier (e.g. 89 in WO 97/1/89) does not refer to any folio or other reference on the original document". In other words someone still has to search albeit with the certainty that it will be found.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    albeit with the certainty that it will be found.
    Exactly. No "physical" search through boxes is required, since pre 1854 records have been filmed.

barrie wise

Default The National Archives - assistance required

Many thanks both Peter and Kerry - I had gone through the usual steps to get a quote for a PDF file, but was told it would be a long job and they don't carry out any searching now. I replied to their email giving all the particulars I had, but only got a computer generated reply which simply went round in circles. Looks like I will have to hire a researcher, but the problem is trying to find one that accepts Visa.
    Many thanks again,
    Barrie.

Reputation beyond repute

they don't carry out any searching now
    Precisely. That's what I thought.

I don't suppose it's worth waiting for the new copying service to kick off

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/445.htm

Also, it looks like a long wait before FMP put them on line.

I'd offer to help but I won't be going there for another month at least. Perhaps a volunteer will emerge.

Liane Hawes

Hi Barrie

I don't mind having a look for you next time I go, probably won't be for a couple of weeks or so. If you PM me with all the details I will have a look. If however somebody else beats me to it just let me know.

Erlang

Hi I'm going up there tomorrow if I get time I'll have a look for you and see what I can find.