corin

Default Folkestone Inquest Info.

My gggrandfather was accidentally killed on board SS Mabel Grace
    following collision with SS Lisa in English Channel.
    Death cert. states inquest held 12/12/1899, borough of
    Folkestone (Elham). What is the chance that details of
    inquest are available to view. Aware thread similar to Wendy's
    just a different county.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

This doesn't directly answer your question, but the accident was widely reported in the newspapers at the time.

If you're a member of Surrey Libraries, you should be able to access the British Library's 19th Century Newspapers database online, at home, free, using the membership number on your library card.

Reputation beyond repute

I don't know what the chance is. How would you measure it?

On the whole, few coroner's reports of that vintage have survived. You would have to ask Kent Archives Service and/or East Kent Archives.

Newspaper reports of the time are usually more productive (usually easier to read, come to think of it )

There are several on line reports of the actual accident that I've been flicking through and these may turn out to be more interesting than the actual inquest. These are on line at the usual places.

Was your ancestor Thomas Ford who died as a result of a broken back sustained in the collision?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    There are several on line reports of the actual accident that I've been flicking through and these may turn out to be more interesting than the actual inquest.
    The inquest itself is also briefly reported in the papers, but the accident reports include far more detail.

corin

Thanks for your prompt and useful messages. It was Thomas Ford, the current family knew nothing of this man.
    Will try the Surrey Library link, thanks Kerrywood.

corin

Surrey library will not accept my Croydon library card, will have to sort something out on Monday.
    Can you steer me in the direction of these collision reports please.

There is a pay site here, but it has far fewer resources than are available through the library subscription.

newspapers.bl.uk/blcs (put https:// in front)

You can purchase a 24-hour pass or a 7-day pass.

petmas

Photo of his grave and a bit of detail on https://sussexhistoryforum.co.uk/inde...97.msg7200#new Report in The Times states he was crushed and killed outright as he came out of the fo'scle

corin

Thanks for your interest petmas, unable to find photo you referred to. Does one have log in site?
    I made a mistake initially, he was my ggrandfather.
    My mother would not have him as she was born some years later. My brothers and I cannot recollect
    this incident being mentioned when we were younger hence the surprise when discovered during
    family tree research.

petmas

Hi Corin, see you have mangaged to log in OK