Loves to help with queries

Default Convict Ship Neptune (2)

Does anyone else have a convict exile in their family who arrived in Tasmania aboard the "Neptune" in April 1850? These were convicts from Ireland who had already served part of their sentence in Bermuda.
    Would love to have contact.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi there Jeddah, I believe my ancestor arrived in VDL aboard the Neptune 2 in 1850. His name was Joseph Hill. Who was convicted at Salop Assize Shropshire England in the 40s how he ended up in Bermuda I have not been able to find. My search for him was difficult, he seemed to be a convict but I couldn't find a TOL or CP or any other formal paperwork. Actually finding the Neptune 2 and her story with Joseph Hill aboard was the only way it could all make sense. Looking forward to response.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Bermuda was a convict station - in other words it was a place were convicts were sent to serve their sentences just like those that were sent to New South Wales. Another such place was Gibraltar. Convicts were housed on hulks and the conditions were pretty miserable. Bermuda was a very unhealthy place for convicts, gaolers and crew alike because of climate and the conditions that they were housed in.

Joseph Hill aged 20 stood trial 27 June 1842 at Salop County Sessions charged with Larceny from a Person and was found not guilty. This charge equates to pick pocketing.

The next time he was in court was on 23 March 1843 at the Salop County Assizes charged with Larceny and went to prison for 1 month.

The next time was on the 13th of October 1845 at Salop County Sessions held in Shrewsbury where he was charged with "larceny before convicted of a felony" - the felony being the conviction in 1843 - found guilty and sentenced to 7 years transportation.

He was moved the Shropshire County Gaol to Millbank prison in London which describes as being aged 25, married with 1 child and having had 5 year criminal career. From Millbank he was sent to the Warrior prison hulk moored at Woolwich and then transferred in December 1845 to the ship which took him to Bermuda and the hulk there which was called Cormondel.

Usually after serving their sentence in Bermuda they would be brought back to England. Your answer as why he went to VDL probably lies in the Tasmanian archives which (for me) are playing up tonight: https://talis.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thumbs up A big thanks Megan!

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Bermuda was a convict station - in other words it was a place were convicts were sent to serve their sentences just like those that were sent to New South Wales. Another such place was Gibraltar. Convicts were housed on hulks and the conditions were pretty miserable. Bermuda was a very unhealthy place for convicts, gaolers and crew alike because of climate and the conditions that they were housed in.

Joseph Hill aged 20 stood trial 27 June 1842 at Salop County Sessions charged with Larceny from a Person and was found not guilty. This charge equates to pick pocketing.

The next time he was in court was on 23 March 1843 at the Salop County Assizes charged with Larceny and went to prison for 1 month.

The next time was on the 13th of October 1845 at Salop County Sessions held in Shrewsbury where he was charged with "larceny before convicted of a felony" - the felony being the conviction in 1843 - found guilty and sentenced to 7 years transportation.

He was moved the Shropshire County Gaol to Millbank prison in London which describes as being aged 25, married with 1 child and having had 5 year criminal career. From Millbank he was sent to the Warrior prison hulk moored at Woolwich and then transferred in December 1845 to the ship which took him to Bermuda and the hulk there which was called Cormondel.

Usually after serving their sentence in Bermuda they would be brought back to England. Your answer as why he went to VDL probably lies in the Tasmanian archives which (for me) are playing up tonight: https://talis.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/
    Dear Megan Roberts. I'm sorry that I have taken so long to thank you :-( just found your response, which is most helpful and appreciated. It fills in a lot of blanks for my 3x great grandfather. I wonder how many others will also benefit from your kindness?? !!
    Regards Wayne Hill.
    New South Wales
    Australia.

A fountain of knowledge

Shrewsbury Chronicle -
    Friday 24 October 1845
    Joseph Hill, labourer, aged 25, was convicted of stealing a pair of trousers from the shop of Mr W Pooler, of Wellington, and been an old offender was sentenced 7 years transportation.