Caper

Default Ammanford coal mine early 1900's

Looking for info on the name of the mine(s) or any other info around the High St and/or Pentwyn St areas that my GGrandfather Job Taylor would have worked at. He was born in Wigan in 1881 and at the time of his marriage he lived on High Street Ammanford. His bride lived in Wigan. On the 1911 Census she lived on Pentwyn St Ammanford and was the Head of the household because Job had emigrated to Canada to work in the mines of Nova Scotia.

Thanks!

Jan1954

It is quite possible that he worked at the Ammanford Colliery itself. You may find this page interesting.

Caper

I read the article and did some "googling" I can now safely say that Ammanford no 1 was where Job worked. What's interesting is that a group of wealthy Lancashire men bought the colliery and renamed it Ammanford Colliery Company. Job was born in Wigan, Lancs so it makes perfect sense that he would have left Wigan for Ammanford and shortly after brought his wife and kids to Wales with him. So thanks for taking down a few bricks in my Wall lol

Now, to pick everyone's brains even more, I have another question for the business-minded. Is there any link between the Ammanford Coal Company with the Dominion Steel and Coal Corporation (DOSCO) in Canada?