Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default Lincolnshire Inquests 1753 - 1880

On Saturday I purchased the CD of the above - one of the newer publications by Lincolnshire FHS - which contains details of over 10000 inquests.
    Up to and including the 14th May I am willing to look in the *surname* index to see if your name is mentioned.
    What I cannot, nor would I, do is to give any further information regarding that name. To do so would be in breach of copyright, as the CD clearly states - in common with all other CDs, including census ones - "You may not
    make copies of the data. You may not publish or sell any portion of the data in printed, electronic or any other format without prior written consent."
    (By saying that a particular surname is included on the CD I am not in breach of copyright as a list of the surnames is on public display on LFHS bookstalls.)

Pam Downes

Diane R

Wink Lincolnshire Inquests 1753-1880

I would like to take you up on your kind offer. Families of interest in Lincolnshire during this period are Rudkin/Rutkin and Laxton.
    Family History has introduced me to the nicest group of people ever encountered.
    Diane R

Hi Diane,

Rudkin and Laxton both appear on the CD.
    CD is fully searchable.
    Pam Downes

Patricia Jones

Hallo Pam,
    Please could you see if Amos Short, B 1839, D 1844, Died in a fire aged 4 years appears, on the Inquests CD?
    Many thanks Patricia Jones

Hi Patricia,
    I can confirm that the surname Short does appear on the CD.
    As I said in my original message I can give no further details because otherwise I would be in breach of copyright. I know that you've only recently joined the forum so you will have missed an important message from Rod Neep, the Administrator of the BG Forums, regarding the issue of copyright.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ead.php?t=5341

Details of how to buy the Inquests CD are in my reply to Diane, immediately above your request.

Pam Downes
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 04-05-2005 at 2:20 AM.

Brian

Question

Hello Pam

Would you please look to see if the name Mottershall is mentioned on the CD?
    Many thanks
    Brian

Sorry Brian,
    The nearest is Mottershaw.

Pam Downes

jeannie

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes
    Hi Patricia,
    I can confirm that the surname Short does appear on the CD.
    As I said in my original message I can give no further details because otherwise I would be in breach of copyright.
    Dear Pam, Please could you tell us what is included on the CD? Presumably a first name together with the surname, and a date and place of the inquest. Is there anything else? Thanks.
    Kind Regards

Patricia Jones

Sorry Pam,
    I didn't expect you to give me full details . I only wanted to clarify that the name Short was for the same christian name and year that I am seeking.
    I rather thought that an Inquest was in the public domain, didn't know that they were copyright. Rather confused as this site seems to provide "lookups" for census, without the mention of copyright. Thanks for the information you have provided. Patricia

Hi Patricia,
    Copyright laws are a bit of a minefield from what little knowledge I have of them because different rules apply to different things such as newspapers, books, photos, etc.
    Basically it amounts to 'I must not copy someone else's work'.
    Say Lincs FHS transcribe the entries in the burial register (i.e. an original document) for Frampton church, and then publish those entries on a fiche. I cannot copy the entries from that fiche and put them on my web site because I would be in breach of LFHS copyright. But, I can go to Lincoln Archives and transcribe those same entries and enter my transcription on my web site, and that transcription then becomes my copyright.
    With the census entries on the forum, you have seen a transcription from an original census image. What the transcriber cannot do is copy from an index produced by a FHS or Ancestry.
    The inquests that the LFHS have put on the CD are, like the parish registers and census images, in the public domain. (However, 'being in the public domain' and 'being easily accessible' are two different things. Newpaper reports quoted on the CD will be available either at the Newspaper Library in Colindale and/or Lincoln Central Library. Inquest reports taken from the Quarter Sessions will only be available at Lincolnshire Archives.)
    To produce this CD the LFHS have transcribed from orginal documents. That transcription now becomes LFHS copyright. Most of the copyright restrictions were quoted in my original post - 'you make not make copies of the data' etc.
    I'm sorry if I seem unhelpful by refusing to give any further details regarding entries on the CD, but I can assure you that if I did breach copyright Rod would have absolutely no hesitation in throwing me off the forum and telling everyone why he had done so.

Pam Downes

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast