Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Default Copestake Lookup please

Anyone got access to Nottingham parish records without costing you a fortune?

I'm looking for a John Copestake b. Arnold Nottingham Sept 1827. Trying to find his parents and siblings, and marriage to Susan Hellier. And anything else about him.

Thanks

Irene

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I wonder if it's coincidence that the IGI has a John COPSTICK christened 23 Sep. 1827 Arnold Nottingham -Parents Thomas & Elizabeth batch no. C045281
    as well as a member submitted entry for John Copestake Christened same day, who went to New Zealand & married Susan Hellier ?
    Last edited by Waitabit; 20-04-2010 at 7:58 PM. Reason: add a bit
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

A fountain of knowledge

Drat and bother!!

I looked at that and didn't make the connection! Dimwit!

That means the Jane Copestake I found b. a couple of years later to Thomas and Elizabeth, IS his sister. Great! I did wonder (do a lot of wondering in this business).

Thanks Waitabit. You gem!

Irene

Name well known on Brit-Gen

You're very welcome Irene, it's a 'wonder' ful hobby isn't it. I wonder where I'd be without it.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

janbooth

Irene,

To confirm what has already been found for you on the IGI from Notts FHS Baptismal Index:

27 April 1825 at Arnold Jane COPESTAKE daughter of Thomas & Elizabeth, Framework Knitter
    23 December 1827 at Arnold John COPESTICK son of Thomas & Elizabeth, Framework Knitter

Not sure whether this is the same family but:

27 December 1818 at Beeston Thomas Johnson COPESTICK son of Thomas & Elizabeth, Framework Knitter
    15 March 1823 at Attenborough Joseph COPESTICK son Thomas & Elizabeth, Chilwell, Framework Knitter

From Notts FHS Marriage Index:

12 February 1818 at Bramcote Thomas COPESTICK & Elizabeth JOHNSON - this is the only marriage for a Thomas COPESTAKE(STICK) in the correct timescale

HTH

Janet

A fountain of knowledge

Janet! Thank you!

How close are Arnold, Chilwell, Beeston, Attenborough and Bramcote to each other, I wonder. Will try googleing and see what comes up.
    It sound as though they maybe all the same family, though did notice and other Thomas on IGI. Must go back and have another look.

Could you have a look at deaths for me and see if anything fits please. I find it hard to believe that they only had two kids in a time when anything up twelve or more was common.

Irene

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by IreneH View Post
    How close are Arnold, Chilwell, Beeston, Attenborough and Bramcote to each other, I wonder.
    If you look up Beeston on GENUKI, one of the options at the top of the page is to view nearby places.

I did just that and came up with this.

sheilastain

Hi Irene
    Attenborough, Chilwell, Bramcote and Beeston are next door to each other. On the other hand Arnold is the other side of Nottingham. I have seen instances of people marrying between the two sides of Nottingham. I also notice that they are framework knitters and it would not surprise me at all that they moved across to the Arnold area to follow the work. Calverton, which is where the knitting frame was invented is next door to Arnold.
    Hope this helps.

Sheila
    Last edited by sheilastain; 21-04-2010 at 7:08 PM. Reason: typo

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Jan & Sheila,

Thanks Jan Didn't know you could do that - learn something new everyday.

Sheila, That is the line I'm thinking along. I'm picking that they are all the same family. Have just found Jane's death - 1826

I haven't done a lot on this family line, but I'm starting to get a "feel" for them, if you get my drift.

Many thanks everyone. If anyone comes up with anything else...............

Irene

sheilastain

Hi Irene

Why not try to follow Joseph. I haven't got a subscription but I see there is a Joseph Copestick born 1823 in Nottinghamshire and living in Nottinghamshire on 1841 census. If he is living in the Arnold area then I think we can assume that he did move over to that neck of the woods with his family.

Sheila

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast