Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    janbooth

It looks as if Frank's birth was registered in Potterspury in the June qtr 1910, vol 3b, page 15, as was his brother Henry James in the June qtr 1908, which is where the family was living in the 1911 census. Are you trying to go forwards or backwards with your research?

As you say, there is a marriage registration at Derby in the June qtr 1907 for a Matilda THURMAN and a Henry COPESTAKE. There is also another birth registration for a daughter to Henry & Matilda at Potterspury in the December qtr 1916 - I can't post details as she may still be living. It certainly looks as if the family returned to Derby, as there are 3 marriage registrations for the children all at Derby reg district.

Let us know if we can help further.

Janet

Thanks for the info.

I had missed the daughter at Pottersbury.

I was interested in the later family; I am related through Matilda and hoping to identify possible cousins.

Bob

Laurel S

Irene, I have just started looking for info on the New Zealand Copestakes, and wonder if you have anything to help me. I am pariticularly trying to find out who were the parents of Olive Copestake , my grandmother. She was born around Stratford and came to Australia as a young woman, where she married in 1929, so I am guessing she was born sometime around 1900 give or take some years.
    I believe she was raised by a great grandmother or great aunt, as her parents were unmarried when she was born , but I believe they married later in lfe. My searches have shown up some Copestakes living in this area around this time, but Olive is not mentioned. From the time frame , Iam wondering whether Elizabeth or Ada may have been her mother,but I am not v=even sure if she took her mothers surname or her fahers. I would appreciate any info you have alredy found about the copestakes which might to clarify this.
    Thanks, Laurel S.
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneH View Post
    Hi Bob,

Which Copestake are you looking for? I may or may not be able to help. Happy to share any info that I have.

Irene

Hello Laurel S
    Is this your grandmother's marriage record? Do you have the certificate?

Olive Copestake
    Spouse -William Thomas Morgan
    Married =17 Nov 1929
    Registration Place - Queensland, 1929
    Registration number - 003028
    Page Number - 809

Olive's death reg?
    Olive Morgan
    Death Date - 14 Dec 1961, Queensland
    Father - John Copestake
    Mother - Susan Hallier
    Registered 1961, Queensland
    Registration number - 005992
    Page Number - 2020

Laurel S

Default Thanks re Olive

Thank you so much for your information - it is very helpful.
    I will follow up the records you suggested and hopefully get a clearer picture as things are fairly confused so far.
    I do have a listing for Susan's maiden name spelt as Hellier .
    However , it seems that it will not be straightforward for a couple of reasons. One is that Olive was born around 1900 or a little later to the best of my knowledge ( I should be able to confirm that now) , but John and Susan's other listed children were born MUCH earlier - in the 1864,67 & 69 .....

The fact that the small amount of family information I have from oral history ( which says that Olive was born out of wedlock and raised by a great grandmother,) makes me wonder if she was actually born to one of John & Susan's children ( perhaps John Farnham Copestake), or even grandchildren but registered as the child of John and Susan due to the unmarried status? Would you know if this practice may have been a possibility during these times?

Further complication is that John Copestake ( the younger, John Farnham C, I assume) is listed as marrying an Alice Hellier- which is the same surname as his mother ....

And the final interesting point is that Olive named her daughter ( my mother ) Kathleen, which perhaps indicates that Kathleen, the granddaughter of John & Susan C/ daughter of John & Alice C, had some sort of special status on Olive's eyes....perhaps SHE was the very young mother of the family tale.

Much speculation , but I have to back to finding the facts. Thank you again - this is my first foray into the world of genealogy and I am finding it quite addictive.

Laurel S

Hello Laurel S
    Welcome to the world of genealogy addiction

It was quite common for illegitimate children to be shown in records as children of their grandparents. Family may have known but it wasn't talked about.

This is the website for information on Queensland BMD's

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-dea...-and-divorces/

I'll take a look at earlier censuses to get my bearings with this family.

Christanel

There are two Olive births on NZ BMD's https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Home/

Both in 1901
    Olive Linda Copestake mother's given names Maud Harriet, father's Herbert Hilton Copestake 1901/1232
    Olive Copestake mother's given name Ellen father not recorded. 1901/2396

Laurel S

Default Olive

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    There are two Olive births on NZ BMD's https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Home/

Both in 1901
    Olive Linda Copestake mother's given names Maud Harriet, father's Herbert Hilton Copestake 1901/1232
    Olive Copestake mother's given name Ellen father not recorded. 1901/2396
    Christanel,
    Looks like the trail is more complicated than i thought.a 1901 birth year fits for my Olive, but Ellen ( married to William C) was the daughter in law of Susan (married to John C) . Perhaps Olive was born to one of Ellen's daughters ( Ada or Elizabeth - timing is right) registered in her mother Ellen's name, but raised her grandmother Susan , which is why it appears on her wedding certificate as her mother!

Thanks again
    Laurel S. T

Laurel S

Quote Originally Posted by IreneH View Post
    Hi Bob,

Sorry my lot come from Nottinghamshire. The Frank Copestake I have was born in NZ. He married my great aunt Cecilia.

Irene
    Irene, are you aware of Uncle Frank and Aunt Cecelia( mentioned above) ever speaking of a child Olive,born 1901, who may have been looked after by Frank's brother John and his wife Susan ( Hellier), or by their son William & wife Ellen ( Hopkinson)?
    Olive was my grandmother , but was apparently raised by an older member of her extended family as her mother was not married.
    There is a birth registration for an Olive Copestake in 1901 which is about right, with mother listed only as Ellen, and no father registered, but on her marriage certificate Olive lists her mother as Susan.

The documents are confusing, and I would love to have some verification from someone who knew of her.
    She came to Australia as a young woman and married here.

Laurel S.

Hi Laurel

Irene is still a member of the site. If you wish to you can contact her by clicking on her username then clicking on private message in the drop down menu.
    Maybe you could just copy and paste the contents of your post to save you typing it all out again.

Christanel

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast