RobinC

Default Age of witnesses at marriages?

I have been looking at a marriage that I know is correct for my 3 x great grandfather Peter Damiral & my 3 x great grandfather Mary Ann Poole.

I looked up Mary Ann's baptism and it lists her parents as John & Ann Poole, I then looked up other baptisms for children who had parents of the same names and found several possibilities which are as follows:

Name: Elizabeth Poole
    Record Type: Baptism
    Date: 16 Mar 1817
    Father's Name: John Poole
    Mother's Name: Ann Poole
    Parish: St Mary, Hanwell
    Borough: Ealing
    County: Middlesex

Name: Eliza Poole
    Record Type: Baptism
    Date: 8 Oct 1820
    Father's Name: John Poole
    Mother's Name: Ann Poole
    Parish: St Luke, Millwall
    Borough: Islington
    County: Middlesex

I'm leaning towards the second result as Mary Ann was baptised in Clerkenwell.

My query is that an Elizabeth Hannah Poole is listed as one of the witnesses but what's the minimum age for a marriage witness?

Jan1954

Have a read of this thread.

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Have a read of this thread.
    Thank you Jan,

That makes the Eliza Poole who was baptised on 8th October 1820 a possible witness at Mary Ann Poole's marriage, even though there is a difference in the christian name.

I have looked at both baptisms for Mary Ann Poole & Eliza Poole and can't read the occupation of the father on either baptism, although Eliza's father's occupation looks like it says "partner" or "painter"?

I have now just looked at another record for Mary Ann Poole and it lists the father as a pewterer.

John & Ann Poole are listed as living at Gee Street, Islington on both Mary Ann & Eliza's baptisms so I'm sure they're related somehow.