British Viking

Default How did they arrive in the UK?

My gt-grandfather and his half brother (same mother, two different fathers) came to the UK (probably not at the same time) successfully ran businesses and raised families in the UK - from whence I came - voila!

Now herein lies the mystery....when did they arrive in the UK? I've tried several shipping lists. The ones at TNA don't seem to cover the correct years in their cases.

Christian Moller was born in 1856, married in UK in 1876
    His half brother, Axel Hother Moller, born in 1857, went to France to learn a trade soon after his confirmation in 1871, married in UK in 1889.

So on that basis we're looking at years approx 1871-1876 for CM
    and
    1871-1889 for AHM.

I have checked with TNA and neither of them bothered to become naturalised UK citizens.

I'm dying to know when and how they arrived in the UK. Any tips fellas and fellarettes?

Cheers

Jan1954

Well, I have not been called a fellarette before!

Have a look at the BBC Family history pages at: bbc.co.uk/history/familyhistory/next_steps/adv_04_migrants_01.shtml

Scroll almost to the bottom of the page, and there is information headed up "Passenger lists and returns and certificates of aliens", with links to other places that you could try.

You may also find some information from the Moving Here website at movinghere.org.uk/

British Viking

Oh thanks fellarette, oops, I mean Jan!

Useful info there. Will foray later.

Thanks again!

Reputation beyond repute

If you have followed the advice in whole of both these research guides (not just the easy bits), you have probably reached the end of the road.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=243

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=242

British Viking

sob, sob........

Nannas

Quote Originally Posted by British Viking View Post
    sob, sob........
    Hiya,
    If your Christian MOLLER is the one listed in 1901 census a 44yo clockmaker born in Denmark, living with wife Helen and children...The census states "born Denmark-British subject"
    So either he was naturalised or more likely had british father (or parents)

I'm not sure if it is him just was the only one I could see right off and I notice Alex (Axel) is also a clockmaker...
    OH, they are living together in 1881 census,,,so Axel was in England by then..

Nannas

British Viking

Thanks Nannas

Yes, I already have that info and their fathers were definitely Danish in Copenhagen.

I owe you a couple of Danish pastys now I reckon?

Cheers