ishepherd

Default From UK to New Zealand via Melbourne

I have really struck a brick wall with this. My John SHEPHERD was born circa 1831 - 33 in Yorkshire, possibly Newby. At some stage he entered Australia but I can't find any details. He left Melbourne on the St. Jean in 1862 and landed in Dundedin, New Zealand. He later married Margaret LANGFORD in Christchurch in 1870. At his marriage he is stated as being a Batchelor.

I have tried various passenger lists but to no avail.

Can anyone direct me to any other sources.

thanks
    Irene

Name well known on Brit-Gen

A John SHEPHERD aged 24 is listed for 24 May 1858 on the "Admiral Boxer" bk. 12 -pg.457 here
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you tried Victorian Public Record Office at all. Several more John Shepherds come up on various searches ie: this one you just need to sort out the ages.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

He could have entered Australia in one of the other States and made his way overland to Melbourne. It is also possible that he originally arrived via New Zealand, went to Australia, and his 1862 trip was the return journey. One of my families did that, but then came back to Australia a second time and stayed.

If he paid his own way then it is highly unlikely that you will find him listed anywhere by anything except a name, maybe not even that, just part of the number in steerage. It is too common a name to identify him by age only.
    ChristineR

ishepherd

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    A John SHEPHERD aged 24 is listed for 24 May 1858 on the "Admiral Boxer" bk. 12 -pg.457 here
    Thanks, I've tried those links before

Irene

ishepherd

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineR View Post
    He could have entered Australia in one of the other States and made his way overland to Melbourne. It is also possible that he originally arrived via New Zealand, went to Australia, and his 1862 trip was the return journey. One of my families did that, but then came back to Australia a second time and stayed.

If he paid his own way then it is highly unlikely that you will find him listed anywhere by anything except a name, maybe not even that, just part of the number in steerage. It is too common a name to identify him by age only.
    Thanks, but there is no other record for him arriving in New Zealand

ishepherd

Here is what I have regarding age:
    Death certificate printout states he had lived in NZ for 55yrs. He died in 1918so that coincides with his arrival in 1862. However, above that there is a figure 31 which could either mean he was 31 when he arrived or he was born in 1831.
    Birth certificate notice for a son born in 1880 states he was 47, which gives a birth year of c1833.
    I have ordered another birth notice for a daughter to see if the age matches up

Irene