Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BMcAleer

Default Georges Square barracks 1841

Thanks to helpful Brit-Gen members, I located the correct birth record of John Phillips, 1845, my great great uncle. The occupation of his father was "pensioner." Now I knew that the name of John's mother was Maria Jane, same as John's sister.
    I looked nearby in Devon for the family in 1841 and found his family in the George's Square barracks, Clowance, Stoke Damerell, Devon. John Phillips, Serjeant, 30, birthplace Ireland, Maria Phillips, Serjeant's wife, 20, birthplace Ireland; Maria Phillips, 6 months, birthplace in county, daughter of the above. I sent for two likely birth certificates for Maria Phillips before the price went up, and I'm waiting.
    Many of the soldiers in the barracks are listed in the 11th regiment--can I assume that John Phillips is also in the 11th Regiment of foot? I appreciate your expertise--it will continue to be a challenge to track this family, there are quite a few John Phillips.
    Thank you, Beth

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by BMcAleer View Post
    Many of the soldiers in the barracks are listed in the 11th regiment--can I assume that John Phillips is also in the 11th Regiment of foot?
    As he is surrounded by others described as in the 11th Foot (aka North Devonshire regiment), it does seem likely. But one should never assume, and I believe a detachment of Royal Marines may also have been at Georges Square in 1841. Probably best to wait for the birth certificate.

If it turns out that he was in the 11th, this link may relate to his army service record at TNA.

You may be able to order a copy online, but a new ordering system starts on 19 April as explained here. Meanwhile I'm not sure what the immediate situation is.

stevenpenny

Hi,

The 11th of Foot was of course The Devonshire Regiment and were in George Square Barracks in 1841. If he is not listed specifically as being in the 11th then there is a very good chance that he lived and worked in the Barracks but as a civilian.

The Royal Marines at that time were billited in Stonehouse Barracks but that does not mean to say that a contingent were not billited in George Square Barracks.

Steve

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by stevenpenny View Post
    If he is not listed specifically as being in the 11th then there is a very good chance that he lived and worked in the Barracks but as a civilian.
    Steve, he's listed as a Serjeant, hence my comments above.

HO107; Piece 272; Book: 10; Folio: 3; Page: 3
    (reference to record held by TNA, Crown copyright)

BMcAleer

Thank you, everyone, for all for the helpful information. I am hopeful that the Reference at TNA refers to my ancestor, I will try to get it after our Patriot's Day holiday. --Beth

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Beth, don't you mean 'Rebels' Day' - God Bless King George III !!!!

Martin

stevenpenny

Hi Kerrywood,

Missed that bit....sorry.

Steve

BMcAleer

Smile Chelsea Pensioner record

The birth certificate for my second great grandmother arrived: It is her! She was born at Cumberland Square barracks, Devonport, 23 November 1840, as Jane Phillips, her father was Serjeant in the 11th Regiment of foot. I also have a Chelsea pension record for John Phillips, of Monaghan, parish Donagh, co. Monaghan, who was granted a pension in 1845 after 20 years of service. John was listed as a pensioner on the certificate for his son John, so this is a perfect match. There is much useful information on this record--his good and bad behavior, list of his service overseas, and his town of origin in Ireland. I've been successful searching several Irish families, glad to have another.

I would like to know what happened to this family after 1845. I have them in the George's Square barracks in 1841. I still can't find the family in the 1851 or 1861 censuses--it's not easy finding John & Maria Phillips. (I may also ask for help in the census forum with more details.) This Chelsea pension document does not include records of pension payments or his date of death. Can I find that information elsewhere? Is this his regimental number?--"No. 330 Serjeant John Phillips." I looked at the finding aids at TNA web site, and it appears there may be pension records in WO 22. Is that correct, and would there be information elsewhere? I don't have a marriage record--is it worth requesting a search for regimental marriage from the GRO? I did that once before for another ancestor with no results.
    Thanks, Beth, Massachusetts USA

BMcAleer

Default After Georges Square Barracks

Several years later, yes, I'm still here and still searching. I just made an important discovery. I was unsuccessful finding Sgt. John Phillips regimental no. 330, 11th Regiment of Foot, in the census records after he was granted his pension in 1845. He is my third great grandfather, father of John Campbell Phillips and Maria Jane Phillips. I purchased a few incorrect death certs for him in Devonshire after 1845. Finally, I hired a genealogist to search the pension musters and we discovered that he died 8 May 1850, at Glasgow 1st district. Before his death, her collected his pension at Paisley pay district. Since my third great grandfather John Phillips was from Donagh, Monaghan, the family of his wife Maria Jane Campbell may be from Scotland. They were married 1835 at Corfu, she was from Gibraltar, born about 1810. I hoped to find his wife and children in the 1851 census or some other clues from Scotland, but no luck! Hurdles every step of the way, but I won't give up.

BMcAleer

I'm back! I have not found evidence of John Phillips' family after his death 8 May 1850 at Glasgow 1st district. I'm still looking. Birth of his granddaughter Rachel Sarah Cole at Woolwich 1862, then little Rachel sailed to the USA with her mom Maria Jane (Phillips) Cole on the S.S. John Bright 15 August 1864 (same voyage as the ancestors of my friend Mary Choppa). I don't know where in the world the family went between 1850 and 1862. Still looking.
    Beth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast