Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    |

When Arthur and Bertie went to secondary school in September 1968, they were in the same class as Charlie who was born in October 1957. Charlie went to a different primary school, but would have started school in either September 1962 or January 1963.
    Pam
    Pam,

The problem I`m having with that is that would have made Charlie only TEN when he went to Secondary Schools. Now whether this is a local variation but a number of elderly school teachers have assured me local secondary schools DID NOT take ten year olds in September - they had to be ELEVEN.
    Therefore the December 1944 girl could not have started secondary school until September 1956 - making her in the year BELOW the girl born March 1944, who would have started Secondary school in September 1955!

Why is it something that seemed so simple to solve (to me) always becomes so complicated when I ask a question!!

Bring back simple solutions to answers please!!

Mitch

PS - The ladies have a class photo taken in Secondary School - I`m now wondering if one of them is confused ,and it is perhaps the last year of Primary School - and thus they WEREN`T in the same year at Secondary School. I`m not going to suggest this to them as I`m heading for being eaten alive at this rate!!
    Last edited by Mitch in Notts; 15-04-2010 at 9:27 AM. Reason: Add PS

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Mitch - in the class photo, are they wearing school uniform? My local secondary schools had a uniform in those far-off days, but only the private primary/junior schools did. Admittedly the children in the state primary/junior schools used to wear similar clothes, but for example in the summer the girls would wear gingham dresses in a mixture of colours, whereas at secondary school they would all wear green, or blue, or whatever the school colour, was.
    Pam

Knowledgeable and helpful

Just to add to the confusion - At one time (certainly in the 1940s) ages were worked from the 1st of August rather than the end of August as now.My mother (bithday August 6th) said she was one of the oldest in her form because of this, whereas nowadays she would be one of the younger eleven year olds going to secondary school.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12