Jane MT

Default Cromer family in Kilkenny?

According to my greatgrandmother's death registration, her mother, Rebecca CROMER, was from County Kilkenny. Rebecca married William Johnson either in Ireland or the USA and by 1844 they were living in New York City. After William died ca 1850, Rebecca and two daughters moved to Ontario, Canada where she remarried, had one more daughter and died in 1902 at age 97.
    In trying to research Rebecca's life in Kilkenny I have run into difficulty since CROMER doesn't seem to be a name that occurs there. Does anyone know of CROMER's in the area? Are there other names that might be similar that I should be checking? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hi Jane,

I would suggest Cramer. On what document was her maiden name referred to as Cromer?

Jane MT

Hi Adele,
    Cromer appears on her daughter's Ontario death registration in 1911. No information is given re: Rebecca on the other two daughters death certificates in 1916 and 1931. On every other document that I can find, her name is given as Mrs. Johnson or Mrs. McArthur.

Is Cramer a name that appears in Kilkenny? I had also thought of Cronin.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Yes, Cramer does appear to be connected with Kilkenny. I googled the two words & received quite a few results. If you'd like to give me the information that will help me find the death certificate on Ancestry.com, I can take a look, although I'm sure you've had other eyes looking at it too by now.

Was there by any chance a funeral card or obituary? Do you have any indication as to why she came to Canada after her husband died?

Jane MT

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    Yes, Cramer does appear to be connected with Kilkenny. I googled the two words & received quite a few results. If you'd like to give me the information that will help me find the death certificate on Ancestry.com, I can take a look, although I'm sure you've had other eyes looking at it too by now.

Was there by any chance a funeral card or obituary? Do you have any indication as to why she came to Canada after her husband died?
    The death certificate is for Rebecca's daughter, Catherine Milne (nee Johnson), died Ontario, 1911. There isn't any more on it concerning Rebecca than what I've already mentioned. Neither Rebecca's nor Catherine's obits give a maiden name for Rebecca.

Rebecca came to Canada probably with her second husband, Daniel McArthur. He was a sailor as was her first husband, William Johnson. Not sure why they chose a farm in Wentworth County, Ontario.

locallad27

I would suggest that the name could be Comer, as that is a more common name around Ireland
    www.pilot.familysearch.org
    will give Irish Civil Registrations from 1864, and perhaps you can make a connection from that.
    Certificates for any person found there can be ordered from
    www.groireland.ie
    and these could also provide extra information.