valrose11

Default 17 Leicester Regiment of Foot soldiers-

I am trying to find out the service of my great great grand-father, William Worrall B 1817 in Castle Court, Guernsey Island.

He served with the 17th regiment Leicester from apprx 1849 to 1856?

I understand he may have seen action in Afghan, Crimea and Canadar or elsewhere.

I know he was married in 1849 in Canterbury Kent, to Maragret Hynes my great great grandmother, though he was born In Guernsey the family was mainly from Birmingham area. So I assume he was stationed in the area.

The children's births all coincide with possible times he might have been home between stations. 1854, 1858, 1860 & 1865, the second child died, it is strange for only 4 children in a family in those days.

He died in 1891 in Stourbridge, and we know he was on an army pension and was also a boot maker
    If anyone can shed any light I'd appreciate it.
    I cannot find where he may even be listed.

I live in Canada, but we have only bee here since 1957.

Valerie Worrall-Rose
    Brampton, Ont Canada

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

This is the deployment of the 1st Battalion, 17th Foot

1847 England
    1850 Ireland
    1854 Gibraltar
    1854 Crimea
    1856 Canada: Quebec, Montreal
    1858.03.09 1st Battalion, 17th Regiment of Foot redesignated upon formation of 2nd Battalion
    1861.11 Trent Affair: Quebec, Montreal
    1862 Canada: Quebec, Montreal
    1865 England

The 2nd Battalion was disbanded in 1802, and raised again in 1858.

Keith

Geoffers

Welcomne to the B-G forums

See Keith's reply, above.

Army service records are held by The National Archives at Kew. These records are being scanned to be made available online via the pay-per-view site' findmypast'

Indices to army births, marriages and deaths are available on pay-per-view sites. If you find a matching entry for the children, you can apply for a copy of the certificate from the GRO.

valrose11

Thumbs up 17th Leicester Regiment of foot soldiers

Thank you so much Keith, those dates do help me, and confirms what I suspected with with children's birth dates etc.

I have no idea how to get a listing the soldiers, but for now The dates are a wonderful new piece of the puzzle.

Isn't life great, when strangers come to the aid of each other.
    But are we strangers???

I am coming to accept the idea that we are all related in some way, we just need to find it.
    I live in Canada, and the other day, the postman came as I was at the door with my Avon lady. I saw a packet and said "Wonderful, news and photo's I am waiting for from my Thomas and Worrall families."
    Her response, "Are you a Worrall, my aunt is married to James Worrall of Birmingham".
    You could have floored me.

So you see everywhere I go, I find not only kind and helpful people but even family of one degree or another..

Thanks again
    valrose11