Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    LynneOz

Oh dear!!! I am confusing you rather than helping you!

Thomas Richards (1788-1869) was married to Anne Louisa Thomas on 7 March 1820 at Llanrian. Their son Thomas married Mary Bateman and their next son John married Anne Bateman. You are interested in the John-Anne connection and I am following the Thomas-Mary connection.

There were two Thomas Richards baptised in Llanrian in 1788 as far as I can see: one was s/o William and Dorothy and the other was the son of John and Mary Williams. Mary Williams MAY have been the sister of Thomas Williams who had adopted Mary (the mother of the two Bateman girls). In Thomas Williams' will he leaves Rhoslanog fach to his "natural" daughter Mary Bateman and he leaves another separate piece of 5 acres to his "beloved nephew" Thomas Richards who was farming Torbant farm. John Richards (1792-1834) who I suspect was the brother of Thomas Richards, also mentions Grapley in his will " in case that my real estate will cover the above debt then thru Slang Collid part of Grapply now in the occupation of Levi Griffiths is to continue the same for the yearly rent of one pound". I suspect Grapley was bigger than 5 acres and had been broken up. I think Grapley (variously spelled Crapley together with Grapley with various double p's etc) was much closer to Trevine than Rhoslanog. Because of the connection between Thomas Richards (b 1788), Thomas Williams, John Richards (b 1792) and Grapley and the fact that Thomas Williams refers to his beloved nephew, I took the path that Thomas Richards (b 1788) was the son of John Richards and Mary Williams who were married 26 May 1783 and had Martha (b 1786); Thomas (b 1788); and John (b 1792), given that Mary was probably Thomas Williams sister causing Thomas Richards to be his nephew.

I made a mistake and said John Williams was the son of David and Mary. This is wrong. I meant to say John RICHARDS was a son of David Richards and Mary Rhead. David and Mary had William (who probably married Dorothy Williams); John who married Mary Williams; Mary; Henry who was a mariner; and David.

Thomas William Richards was indeed a son of Thomas Richards (b 1821) and Mary Bateman (b 1826) but was born a matter of weeks prior to their marriage. He lived always with his Richards grandparents (Thomas and Anne Louisa) at Torbant until he ran away to sea. When he returned he had changed his name to Bateman (apparently on the basis that he perceived the Batemans had always treated him better than the Richards) and joined the London Fire Brigade. In 1861 his brothers John and Stephen Thomas Richards were living with their Richards grandparents while the other brothers James and David were with the Batemans. John disappeared after 1861; David and Stephen went to sea; and James wandered around England. Stephen eventually followed his oldest brother into the London Fire Brigade.

Of the 14 children I have attributed to John Richards and his two wives, Anne Bateman and Amy Phillips, I can account for 8 of them: Lettice who married Thomas Williams; Dorothy who married David Owen; Jane who married Albert Owen; Elizabeth - the mother of George Mortimer Brown; John Herbert; Egbert Ira (what a name); and Mary Ellen. Do you have any more complete information?

From the second marraige George Hargrave Richards pops up again as a rabbit dealer in the nearby parish of Wiston in 1911. There is a likely death aged 54 in 1932 as he is not on the 1919 census return as far as I can see. As you know Egbert emigrates to Australia whilst John Herbert stays in St David's until his death in 1952. I cannot find either Stephen TV or Thomas Richards after 1881. I suspect the poorhouse and/or emigration. They may have followed the half-sisters to the coal mines in South wales but with that surname they are impossible to trace.

From the first marriage the eldest Mary Ann disappears after the 1861 census. Lettice marries Thomas Williams and stays in Llanrhian until her death in 1929. Dorothy and Jane marry into the Owen family and move to Aberdare. Eliza dies tragically in 1906 of quadriplegia whilst her son has been sent to live with his aunt Jane soon after he was born. David Richards dies aged 10 in 1865. The other son William is a witness at his sister's wedding in Aberdare in 1883 and marries himself in 1893 in Newport. He later has 3 children and lives in Abercare.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123