Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    rayh

Quote Originally Posted by pennydog View Post
    The marriage of John George Sowter to Caroline GRAY took place on 25/12/1811, spinster/batchelor, both signed their names. The witnesses were Mary Sowter who made her mark and John Hearnding(?) who signed.
    The church was St Margaret, Lee Terrace, Lewisham.
    I wonder, did John George have a sister Mary?

rayh

Another for you to consider the marriage of James Viercant to Emma Gifford on 3/7/1826 at St Pancras Parish Church batchelor/spinster, James and Emma made there mark. the witnesses were Susannah Day and William D'aus' (difficult to decipher), who both signed.
    Hope this info helps

Are you thinking that he could be the father of Emma Jane 1827, James William 1829, and Adelaide 1831?

rayh

Quote Originally Posted by davidcarca View Post
    The marriage was on 25 Apr 1849 at Christchurch, St Marylebone
    George Sowter 30 bachelor waiter of York St, father George Sowter gardener
    and
    Emma Jane Viercant 22 spinster of Streatham, father James Viercant, tailor
    Witnesses J.Martin & Elizabeth Cotton

David
    Just a quick note to say thank you. Ray

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by rayh View Post
    Sorry Jan, I don't have a marriage cert. It is information handed to me from another party.
    Thank you for giving me what you think is a possiblity though.
    Always check these things out. A copy of the marriage certificate will help you get back further, rather than speculation.

June quarter 1849, Marylebone district, volume 1, page 195. Emma Jane VIERCANT and George SOWTER are on the same page.

The certificate may be ordered from the GRO.

pennydog

Hi Ray
    In answer to your questions:-
    Emma, James William and Adelaide were all baptised at All Souls, Wandsworth
    George and Marianne were baptised at St Nicholas, Tooting, Wandsworth
    Could not find a sister Mary - could it be Marianne? - she only made her mark so ?Marianne = Mary Ann = The writer just put Mary? (my assumption only)
    The marriage of James Viercant to Emma Gifford looks like a real possibilty to be the parents of Emma Jane, James William and Adelaide

A* baptisms have the following
    Emma Isabella Sowter baptised 4/1/1852 at Christchurch, Southwark. Parents George and Emma Jane Sowter of 62 Holland Street, Georges Occupation is porter

For you to consider also is the baptism of Minnie Caroline Sowter born 24/5/1857, baptised 28/6/1857 also at Christchurch, Southwark. Parents George and Emma Jane Sowter of Collingwood Street, George is a fishmonger.

There is also a baptism of George Sowter to George and Emma Jane on 29/7/1855 born 14/3/1855 at St John the Evangelist, Lambeth. George's occupation is Labourer and the addresss is Gravel Lane.

The first baptism may be the one you are looking for and they other two are for you to evaluate and accept or discount.

Hope this helps
    Sue

rayh

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Always check these things out. A copy of the marriage certificate will help you get back further, rather than speculation.

June quarter 1849, Marylebone district, volume 1, page 195. Emma Jane VIERCANT and George SOWTER are on the same page.

Jan thank you. Of course your right. But the exchange rates between our countries make it impossible for me to buy the certificates.
    Ray

rayh

Hi Ray
    In answer to your questions:-
    Emma, James William and Adelaide were all baptised at All Souls, Wandsworth
    George and Marianne were baptised at St Nicholas, Tooting, Wandsworth
    Could not find a sister Mary - could it be Marianne? - she only made her mark so ?Marianne = Mary Ann = The writer just put Mary? (my assumption only)
    The marriage of James Viercant to Emma Gifford looks like a real possibilty to be the parents of Emma Jane, James William and Adelaide

A* baptisms have the following
    Emma Isabella Sowter baptised 4/1/1852 at Christchurch, Southwark. Parents George and Emma Jane Sowter of 62 Holland Street, Georges Occupation is porter

For you to consider also is the baptism of Minnie Caroline Sowter born 24/5/1857, baptised 28/6/1857 also at Christchurch, Southwark. Parents George and Emma Jane Sowter of Collingwood Street, George is a fishmonger.

There is also a baptism of George Sowter to George and Emma Jane on 29/7/1855 born 14/3/1855 at St John the Evangelist, Lambeth. George's occupation is Labourer and the addresss is Gravel Lane.

The first baptism may be the one you are looking for and they other two are for you to evaluate and accept or discount.

Hope this helps
    Sue
    Sue,
    Thank you, you have done some great work. Thank you for it. You have helped me take a branch close to my deceased mother's line back a step or two more.
    My best wishes to you and yours, Ray.

davidcarca

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post

See my post #7 above which gave details of the marriage taken from the parish register. The marriage entry in the parish register should be identical to what's on the GRO certificate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12