Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    stevenpenny

Default Shirt Making in Taunton - Somerset

Hi,

I am hoping that somebody can point me in the right direction for Shirt Making in Taunton in the late 1800's.

In the 1891 census a good 40 to 50% of the inhabitants of the town seem to have been involved in the shirt making process, although information on the factories seems to be scarce.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

CanadianCousin

Hi Steve,

I don't have any particular knowledge about the area, but just had a quick peek at Kelly's Directory of Somerset for 1889 on the Historical Directories website. This is what they said about industries in Taunton at that time:

There are two silk factories, three producing linen collars and cuffs, and others for the making of gloves and paper boxes; besides these there are several small iron and brass foundries, coach making, malting and brewing establishments and cabinet manufactories.
    I don't know if that's much to go on, but hopefully it's of some help.

Good luck -

Tim

Thomasin

According to Google, new textile-based industries, making lace products and shirt collars, flourished in Taunton in the later 19th century. Another website expands this to include the making of shirts, not just the collars. The Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society website shows a photograph of the St Augustine Street Collar and Shirt Factory, Taunton, which dated to 1899.

Jan1954

You may also find the History of Taunton to be of interest.

stevenpenny

Hi,

Many thanks to all of you; i'll start digging...

Steve

JenniLl

Steve,

I looked at the Somerset Record Office online catalogue for 'Shirtmakers' '/ Shirtmaking' and drew a blank. I will make enquiries when I am next there.

Meanwhile, Van Heusen had a factory/outlet just down the road from where I live. It closed some 15 years or so ago (It was still going late 80s early 90s as I used to buy my sons' school shirts there!) The building (built 1934) is still there but occupied by various small businesses. It may be worth contacting Van Heusen to see if they can help.

Jenni

stevenpenny

Hi Jenni,

Thanks. I remember the Van Heusen factory myself; seems like a lifetime ago now.

Steve

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Can anyone remember what street the Van Heusen factory was?

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Gobanian View Post
    Can anyone remember what street the Van Heusen factory was?
    Victoria St.

There is a photo of some staff outside entrance here;-https://www.flickr.com/photos/hairni...616/?ytcheck=1

This Link
    will take you to map of area. Victoria St is off East Reach near to Hospital.
    Last edited by macwil; 04-03-2016 at 6:57 PM. Reason: additional info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast