Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Panthur,_USA

Default Langsford Family Canada & Isle of Wight

I am looking for my great grandfather Langsford. I was told he was from the Isle of Wight. The story goes that he had a family of several children, then leaving his family moved to Canada. He settlled in the Kingston, Ontario area. Here, he met another woman and had several children with her, my grandmother Phyllis Millicent being one of them. I was told, he and two of his sons from his England family fought in WWl and all were gassed. They did live through the war and he died sometime between 1930 and 1938. I heard his first name might be William but am not sure. Any relatives or anyone who may know this family that can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello and Welcome from a neighbour to your north!

I searched the Ontario deaths for a Langsford in the Kingston area and I only found one. Gerald Albert, age 2mon died in 1934 ( which is the last year we can search) and his father is listed as Edwin Langsford and the mother is Frances M. Lambert. it says Edwin was from London, England.( we know that that information may not be correct)Source Citation: Roll VRDCAN1933_102648.
    You don't say when you believe your great grandfather to have been born...that would help searching as well!

Sue

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is also a death in Portsmouth (Kingston area) for a 54 year old William Henry Langsford, married, born England, who died in Mowat Sanitorium of tuberculosis on October 5, 1923. His death certificate lists him born in England, the son of William Langsford & M Francis. The informant on the death certificate is Mrs. Langsford. He is buried in Cataraqui Cemetery.

This is probably William Langsford's WW1 attestation file at Library & Archives Canada. The regimental #26 is a very early number, probably from 1914 before the Canadian Expeditionary Force was fully organized.

https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...vdhrmvrefv7b26

Here are images of the attestation papers for two of his sons:

Edwin Charles Langsford

https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...&id_nbr=509935

Harold Childs Langsford

https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...&id_nbr=509937

This may be a third son: Frank Edwin Langsford

https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...&id_nbr=509936

There is a marriage in Kingston for a 21 year old Grace Langsford, born London England, daughter of William Langsford & Hope Ansel on 9 Apr 1923. She marries 22 year old James Pilgrim of London, England, a musician residing in Kingston. Thomas Priest & Charlotte J Fitzgerald are the witnesses.

Good heavens! We have Langsfords coming out our ears!

A marriage 1 Nov 1913 in Kingston between Lillian Ansell Langsford, age 19, born London, daughter of Wm Langsford & Hope Ansell, to 36 year old Arthur Henry Shelley, a coachman, born Stone, Staffordshire, living in Kingston. Witnesses W H Langsford, L C Langsford.

Quote Originally Posted by Panthur,_USA View Post
    The story goes that he had a family of several children, then leaving his family moved to Canada.
    I don't think he left his wife. I think she died:

UK death registration:

Name: Hope Langsford
    Year of Registration: 1905
    Quarter: Jun
    Age at Death: 41
    District: Edmonton
    Volume: 3a
    Page: 219

Panthur,_USA

I wish to thank all of you for your help. I am looking into these to see if any connect. As to his birth year, I did not put it because I did not know. I do know my grandmother was born August 1915. I heard that she and her younger sister spent time in an orphanage due to her mother not able to take care of all the children so the younger ones went to the orphanage for a bit of time. So it could be due to him being in the sanatorium with TB. Again thank you all.
    Sincerely,
    Kaecee

Jane Elderfield

Quote Originally Posted by Panthur,_USA View Post
    I am looking for my great grandfather Langsford. I was told he was from the Isle of Wight. ... I heard his first name might be William but am not sure.
    Panthur--
    Once you've tracked back with enough solid links to get a first name and approx. birthyear, try looking at the Isle of Wight Family History Society site. (There's a link in the 'sticky' at the head of the Isle of Wight section of this forum.)
    The indexes for I o W births give the "other surname" (usually the mother's). You may find a name that ties in with information you have from elsewhere, and may help you narrow your search to the correct person.
    (In indexes for births in England, as found on pay sites or free on FreeBMD, the mother's surname is not given.)
    You can order I o W certificates online and pay by credit card.

andy_b

Hi
    I have just discovered this site whilst investigating my great grandfather, William Henry Langsford and thought I could post some useful information. Hope it is not too late.
    WH Langsford was born in 1859 in Crediton,Devon and was married to Hope (Ansell). They had 14 children and at the time of the 1911 census unfortunately Hope had passed away with the youngest being Lawrence, only 6 months old. Many of the family did join the forces and I have an old newspaper cutting showing photos of the Langsford soldier family. At the time WH was at Mowat Memorial Hospital having been discharged through ill health. Herbert was in the Imperial Army somewhere in France. William Jr had been discharged as unfit after receiving six wounds. Cecil was killed in France. My Grandfather, Percy Henry had been at the front since the war began and was currently in Aldershot under orders for Salonika. Frank and Harold were serving with the 20th C.E.F in France. Edwin was with the 216th (Bantams) C.E.F Toronto. AH Shelley, son in law was with the 253rd Q.U.H Kingston and A Bedford, son in law was serving in Egypt.
    I hope that this all helps and gets through to those that are searching.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast