Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    kellysmith1976

Yes, the reason i am saying i think its my guy, Is the place of brith is wrong.. He was born Coleford Glocester.. Not somerset... But i suppose the enumerator may have heard wrong.. Yes i suppose he may have been a sailor!..

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by kellysmith1976 View Post

Colin - Thats really intriging!.. Did you find out what happened to them whilst they were in US?.. I dont think i have any relatives over the pond.. I live in Kent England, and most of my family lines are from Kent.. Im back to 1570 on one side and we were still in Kent!...
    I don't want to hijack your thread so I'll send you a p/m

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    The Ellis Island (New York) website has the following:

First Name: Henry R.
    Last Name: Ellmer
    Ethnicity: England
    Last Place of Residence: Kent, England
    Date of Arrival: Oct 19, 1908
    Age at Arrival: 34y Gender: M Marital Status: S
    Ship of Travel: Esperanza
    Port of Departure: Nassau, Bahamas
    Manifest Line Number: 0015

Is this of any help?
    The image of this passenger list on Ancestry, same date, records the ship's name as Seneca, but the important information is that he is a member of the crew, job = seaman, and he states that he was last in the USA in 1894 at Philadelphia. He's 5' 3.5" tall, fair complexion, brown hair, hazel eyes.

kellysmith1976

Thank you so much Adele.. I love it when you get physical descriptions!.. Arrrr he was a little man!..
    Oh and that is very interesting that he was a member of the crew.. so he could have been back and forth many times.. so he could have been back in England when he died?... Maybe ... Thanks again!!

Famous for offering help & advice

Henry Richard Ellmer was born in Coleford, Gloucester in 1874, I have him on 1881 census, I think i have him on 1891 census.
    Yes, the reason i am saying i think its my guy, Is the place of brith is wrong.. He was born Coleford Glocester.. Not somerset... But i suppose the enumerator may have heard wrong.. Yes i suppose he may have been a sailor!..
    I haven't looked at any of the censuses myself, but I thought I'd point out that there is a Coleford in Somerset as well, about 3 miles south of Radstock - possibly not as well-known as the Gloucestershire one. If the census schedule simply said "Coleford", the enumerator may have guessed which county was meant (and sometimes the enumerator's superior entered a county, which is why it appears in a different hand). To work out which of the censuses is (possibly) an incorrect guess you'll need to get Henry's birth certificate - or at least find him beyond doubt in the GRO indexes.

Arthur

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12