spison

Default "T S M L" tattoo?

Hi all,
    I have an 18 year old female convict born in Ireland but tried and transported in England, (Lancashire) in 1833 to Australia with a tattoo of "T S M L" on her upper right arm. Does anyone know if there is there any historical significance to this? Did people use tattoos of personal/family significance at this time?
    Jane

Mutley

There is a small research guide regarding convict tattoos on the Perth DPS site
    I don't know if you have seen it.
    https://
    members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/convicts/res-14.html

David Kent, is the researcher. He said,
    "they were etched into their skin with the soot and black sediment from lamps and recorded their hopes, beliefs, disappointments and loves."

spison

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    David Kent, is the researcher.
    Thanks for that site Mutley. I had seen it but years ago (but not in connection with tattoos) and had forgotten about it. David Kent's article appears now not to be online but is accessed through the 'Journal of Australian Studies' Volume 21 Issue 53 1997 so I will follow this up.
    Jane

Mutley

Good Luck and please let us know if you figure the meaning of T S M L.
    I keep thinking of the lass sitting by candle light and scratching at her skin to produce the letters that meant something to her, if to no one else.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by spison View Post
    Hi all,
    I have an 18 year old female convict born in Ireland but tried and transported in England, (Lancashire) in 1833 to Australia with a tattoo of "T S M L" on her upper right arm.
    Jane
    Hi Jane.
    I've had a totally abstract moment! of thought -- probably wild, but --- !!! Can you tell us the name of the girl or anything about the crime she was convicted of?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Hi Jane.
    I've had a totally abstract moment! of thought -- probably wild, but --- !!! Can you tell us the name of the girl or anything about the crime she was convicted of?
    Hi Jane,
    I take it this relates to Mary Leonard - could it be her initials and those of 'another'; perhaps someone she left behind in England? Like lovers carving their initials in a tree.

Colin Rowledge

That was part of my thought. If she and T.S. committed a crime together, could he have been hanged and she transported? A link to a fellow less fortunate than herself?

spison

Yes! It is Mary Leonard and I did think that that was probably the "M L" part but I didn't want to influence thoughts and wondered if it may have a political overtone of which I was unaware. She was convicted of theft with three other women (Maria Dixon, Margaret Thomas and Ann Peet) on 21 Jan 1833. I do agree that it is probably a man. I'll have to work out how to find Lancashire Records if there's no copy of them here. Thanks for your thoughts.
    Jane

spison

Because her brother, John Leonard, was also transported (in 1828 to VDL) I thought I'd add his tattoos. John had 'J L B S' and an anchor on his right arm and on the same arm 9 spots between his finger and thumb. On his left arm he had a female figure and 'J L M L'.

His 7 year sentence was increased 3 years and eventualy Life so he never returned to England. He probably never knew she was in NSW. When she returned to Liverpool did she find any family still alive? So many questions and so sad.

Jane